Nvidia GPU on a ATI chipset mobo, potential problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk1045

In Runtime
I have an ATI chipset on my Mobo, but my GPU is an Nvidia card. Everytime I start up my computer it states that there is something wrong with my catalyst control center. Does anyone know what can be done, or if there is a real problem?

Thanks

Its chipset does not matter in what cards you can use.

Did you recently change cards? It shouldn't have catalyst if you never had an ATI card.

Since you only upgraded from onboard I don't think there's actually an issue.

Actually, there can be. He needs to uninstall the graphics drivers for the onboard (especially if it was an Nvidia). If he hasn't he needs to uninstall both the drivers for the onboard AND the Catalyst drivers, then reinstall Catalyst.

EDIT: I am running an Nvidia now, but my last two cards were ATI. My mobo has an Nvidia chipset. The chipset will work no matter what card you use and vice-versa.

Actually, there can be. He needs to uninstall the graphics drivers for the onboard (especially if it was an Nvidia). If he hasn't he needs to uninstall both the drivers for the onboard AND the Catalyst drivers, then reinstall Catalyst.

EDIT: I am running an Nvidia now, but my last two cards were ATI. My mobo has an Nvidia chipset. The chipset will work no matter what card you use and vice-versa.

Trotter is correct. I don't know about ATI and nVidia, but I know Intel has been in and out of the New York Times for their recent court cases. Intel was fined, and ordered to cease their marketing tactics which included code and engineering in their chips designed to keep competitors chips from operating at full frequency, and bribing (re: strongarming) developers such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. to buy their chips over the competition. This is part of the reason Intel has so much money to throw at Research and Development. And it's part of the reason why AMD is suffering.

Video drivers and chipset drivers are notorious for not wanting to work together with competition hardware.

I remember in the old days that some Nforce3 chipsets didn't like ATI cards.

A lot of it comes down to driver support anymore.

Just remove the ATI Graphics drivers, but leave the chipset drivers intact, and you should be fine using an Nvidia based card.

I have a ATI chipset on my mobo as an onboard graphics, but I recently installed an Nvidia GPU. I installed the drivers for that GPU and in my system it only shows that driver as being installed. When i look into the catalyst control center it prompts me to install for ATI which I don't want bcuz, I don't have or want to use that I want to only run my Nvidia GPU. Apparently my south bridge is ATI I just don't want there to be problems with having a different stand alone compared to my onboard chipset.
If it is a graphics driver, where can I find it? It looked to me like the only one there was for my Nvidia card.
Thanks

Uninstall Catalyst. NVIDIA can not use it.

Exactly this. I've been using NVIDIA cards (7600 and 9800) on an ATI chipset for two and a half years now without any issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom