Display issues with LG W3000H

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaglawson

Beta member
Hey everyone,
First time poster, please be patient with me if I'm missing some necessary info in this post. I am currently trying to connect my LG W3000H, a 30" monitor with a 2560x1600 resolution, to my i7 Vaio w/ a NVIDIA GEforce 330M graphics card. I currently cant get it to run at any resolution over 1280x800. I am running Windows 7 on my vaio if it makes any difference.

I checked the NVIDIA website, and they claim that the graphics card is compatible with a DVI dual input. Sony also claimed the max resolution for this graphics card was 2560x1600, so that's also consistent with the hardware being able to handle this monitor.

There are only HDMI and VGA ports on my vaio, so I purchased a DVI-D Dual to HDMI adapter and then connected the monitor through HDMI. I also installed the proper and current monitor drivers on my computer, so I can't think of why this would not work. What the **** is going on?

I do have the same problem, I've installed the latest VGA drivers en Monitor driver , but still the max resolution which I get is 1280x800. I've installed it on Windows XP and Windows 7 , but no result.

Please, can anyone help us?

Hello everyone!! I got the same issue as well!! Does anyone know how we can fix this?? Is this a problem with Win 7 or graphic driver or what? I run it on ATI HD 4650.

I don't think it is a 7 issue, per se. It might just be reading the display wrong. Try going back an upgrade of drivers.

Getting the LG W3000H (or any other 30" monitor) to display in native mode with a notebook is tricky. It does not matter what resolutions your video card will support as the mobile versions of any video card is significantly modifidied from the one that you would install in a desktop. As an example, take a look at an nVidia 285GTX and a 285GTX installed in a notebook and you will see that the desktop version as hal the size of the notebook itself.

Essentially it boils down to two issues. First, power; and second, the highest resolution signal you will obtain from a HDMI port is 1280x800. If you have an DVI port, it must support a dual-link signal and be wired accordingly for the video card to support a 2560x1600 resolution. Most notebooks do not support that feature because they require huge power supplies (i.e. ~200 Watts).

If you want to display your LG H3000W at 2560x1600 resolutions, you will need a notebook that has a video card that supports that resoltion and sports a dual-link DVI port that is wired accordingly AND a Display Port. In addition, since the LG monitor does not have a display port, you will need an active link splitter (Bizlink Active Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI Adapter: KS30008-191 at BEST PRICE) suitable to your notebook to provide sufficient power to the DVI cable. If you have a 30" monitor with a Display Port (Such as Dell's), you only need a display port cable.

While you obviously need the latest drivers for the video card you have, no driver will give you the native resolution of your 30" monitor unless you have power to drive the signal. I have an Alienware AL17x and it works great, but I have yet to see any other notebook perform to this level. If you want to really enjoy your LG monitor, run it off your desktop with the right video card or pony-up some serious bucks for a serious notebook. You'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom