Super fun gaming computer build proposal thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe to say that ATI is on top of Nvidia at the moment? I heard the fermi architecture is simply running way too much and consuming too much power for what performance you get out of it. I was from a time where Nvidia was dominating ATI all around when I bought my Clevo 900c (go7950gtx).

Just depends on what your definition of on top is...nVidia is on top with the fastest single GPU card on the market. ATi is on top with the fastest card on the market (dual GPU 5970). The 5870 is a good alternative to the GTX 480 if you want to spend less. As of right now nVidia has no mutli monitor gaming support. Different things come into play when talking about cards...just depends on what you need out of a video card, then make your decision :D

Thanks for the tips, common sense tells me that having a multi monitor setup is no easy feat for a graphics card and will have to put a ton of money for any game to be playable. Thank you for scoping for additional info about the topic, more knowledge to take in.

I'm reading up on overclocking, specifically for the i7, and the 920 from what I read is capable of going up to 3ghz with a quality aircooling heat sync and a tower to help the airflow. If I do go with OCing, motherboard and memory will need to be considered. From any of you that have overclocked in the past, is it worth it in the long run, what I am concerned with is if I leave the tower idle (for the sake of the server role I plan my computer to take), The excess heat and power consumption of doing nothing for an extended amount of time could eventually cause failure. I'm aware of running 24/7 stress tests to check for such a thing but I just want to hear from people who've done it a lot and hear their 2c.

I have an Xigmetek Dark Knight cooler which isn't the best and I went straight to 3.5ghz without voltage change or any problems. I am at 3.7 and my computer is on 24/7.. I say GTX480 but I am a fanboy..

If I were you I would try and find a eyefinity set up (or nvidias equivelant) before you buy one as some people love it and other well don't.

Just depends on what your definition of on top is...nVidia is on top with the fastest single GPU card on the market. ATi is on top with the fastest card on the market (dual GPU 5970). The 5870 is a good alternative to the GTX 480 if you want to spend less. As of right now nVidia has no mutli monitor gaming support. Different things come into play when talking about cards...just depends on what you need out of a video card, then make your decision :D

Nvidia cards 2XX and up support mutli monitor IF you have SLI format.

GTX 480 and 5870 are almost on par with the 5870 being slightly cheaper. 480 preforms better in most games but the 5870 performs better in some.

wtf? Am I missing something? What is it that they said they would have at launch and still haven't brought it out? Is it the 3D surround part? Haha my head is spinning

Top this build off with a SSD, and put your operating system, and the games your using on it and it will be much better performance! Although they are costly they ARE worth it believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom