Windex VS LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxHyacinthexX

Solid State Member
I've posted far to many topics in a short period of time. Anyways I have one final question.

I was wondering if it is safe to clean a laptop screen with windex.... I am not talking spraying it all over the screen, but putting two or three small squirts on a cotton pad, and than gently whipping the computer screen, than taking another cotton pad, and drying up the windex.... Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have done a bit of research on this matter. People say it warps the screen, others say it dulls the screen, people say if the liquid goes to the bottom of the screen, and into the casing, it will cause the screen to break. (Though I think that is true with any liquid.)

So all in all, I feel using windex to clean an laptop screen is really preference, if you are not careful it will ruin your screen, but if you are careful, and use it the proper way, I can not see any problems using thins.... Unless it will warp the screen.

On a side note, I use Windex, Original, in case anyone is wondering. Anyways, thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon.

I've used it before but I don't remember it working that well. Water also doesn't work well. I use lens cleaning fluid like you would use to clean eye glasses along with a soft cloth to clean LCD's and it works perfectly.

IT won't ruin the screen so long as your not drenching it but it might leave bad streaks. You'd be better using a dry glasses rag or going with Calcs suggestion.

I've posted far to many topics in a short period of time. Anyways I have one final question.

I was wondering if it is safe to clean a laptop screen with windex.... I am not talking spraying it all over the screen, but putting two or three small squirts on a cotton pad, and than gently whipping the computer screen, than taking another cotton pad, and drying up the windex.... Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have done a bit of research on this matter. People say it warps the screen, others say it dulls the screen, people say if the liquid goes to the bottom of the screen, and into the casing, it will cause the screen to break. (Though I think that is true with any liquid.)

So all in all, I feel using windex to clean an laptop screen is really preference, if you are not careful it will ruin your screen, but if you are careful, and use it the proper way, I can not see any problems using thins.... Unless it will warp the screen.

On a side note, I use Windex, Original, in case anyone is wondering. Anyways, thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon.

It's possible the chemicals in Windex could damage the plastic on the screen. I always use a moist cotton cloth to clean my displays and it works fine.

I used it, and it seems to have worked great, no streaks, perfectly clean and looking great. Not sure if I will be using it again though, the fact that it is said that it could warp screens is enough to stop me from using it. Will probably just use rubbing alcohol as I always have. Thanks guys.

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve a LOT of plastics, or make them "smear". Solid color plastics, it isn't easy to notice, but you get it on clear plastics, you can smear the plastic on the very top around, easily.

I personally, take a wash rag, drench it in HOT water, wring it out till it's barely moist, then wipe the screen down, usually makes them nice and clean and preety again. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom