Can't decide between 939 pin and 754 pin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Baseband Member
I've read several posts discussing 939 pin and 754 pin MB and where they're headed. I guess the general consensus is to go for the 939 pin boards and processors for their future upgradabilty. But they're more expensive than the 754 processors.

That's why I kinda like the idea of

this board

I've never heard of this board but it got a couple of good reviews. Why can't some other MB manufacturers do this?? I really like the upgrade possibilities.

You could get the cheaper Athlon 64's (like the 2800 or 3000) with the 754 pin now for it and then get the FX's later without changing boards when they come down a little.

What do you guys think?

I was watching people's overclocks in another forum that's strictly for AMD64's and the Arithmatic and Multimedia benches that were used in Sisoftware sandra got lower scores than me with my Overclocked 2400+ XP-M. Although they were pretty close to the same scores I guess you gotta compare 2.2GHz to 2.7GHz, but technically as far as that SiSoftware arithmatic and multimedia benchmarks are concerned a 2.7GHz overclocked 2400+ XP-M Runs faster than and AMD64....but yes I realize programs and windows in general isn't optimized for 64bit yet =/

I totally agree with avoiding it because of potential problems with two chipsets Apokalipse, I just like sharing neat stuff like that. They also have a socket A/socket 754 board that can use either the Athlon XP's, Durons, Semprons or the Athlon 64.

I'm glad you recommended the Giga-Byte board because that's the brand I want to go with anyway. I'm on my second board from Giga-Byte currently with a Athlon 1700XP and I figure why change brands when I've been happy with Giga-Byte?

Well if anyone cares I found out who ASROCKS is. They're a subsidiary of ASUS. The board actually scored well in benchmarks using both type of processors. The website is ocworkbench.com. It looks like a lot of DIP switches to switch what type of processor you want to use.

And it still hasn't changed my mind from a 939 pin giga-byte. :)

go wtih 939 man... 754 doesnt support dual channel and amd has 939 is most of their cpus now. 3200 for example. And as of the mobo... get the abit av8 3rd-eye. Best 939 mobo out ATM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom