need help modifiying a laptop with broken screen into a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
I'm sorry if i posted this on the wrong section i wasn't sure were to post it.
I got this laptop from a friend that wants me to recover data from it.
The drive enclosure i need to do so its on its way but i get to keep the laptop after i get the data out.
As i stated on the tittle the screen is broken i would love to modify it into a kind of a desktop with a monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard.
I been looking around goggle but i couldn't find anything other than how to remove the screen. ill be starting on this probably next if it can be done i have a laptop already hate to spend crash to replace the screen i heard is costly. i just want to gather some info and ideas ahead of time so i can begin this little project sooner.
The OS is corrupted ill need to be reinstalled witch is vista ill be loading 7 or maybe xp if there is xp drivers for it.
The laptop is a HP model HP G60-235DX

thank you for your time

Why don't you just connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to it and call it a day? You could always buy a docking station if the previous mention doesn't strike you as ideal

I'm sorry if i posted this on the wrong section i wasn't sure were to post it.
I got this laptop from a friend that wants me to recover data from it.
The drive enclosure i need to do so its on its way but i get to keep the laptop after i get the data out.
As i stated on the tittle the screen is broken i would love to modify it into a kind of a desktop with a monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard.
I been looking around goggle but i couldn't find anything other than how to remove the screen. ill be starting on this probably next if it can be done i have a laptop already hate to spend crash to replace the screen i heard is costly. i just want to gather some info and ideas ahead of time so i can begin this little project sooner.
The OS is corrupted ill need to be reinstalled witch is vista ill be loading 7 or maybe xp if there is xp drivers for it.
The laptop is a HP model HP G60-235DX

thank you for your time

You can usually find a screen on ebay for ~$100-150, and are fairly straight-forward as to replacing.

Just find the model # of your laptop, and find the spare parts number for it. Then just type that part# into eBay or something, and you should get some results. I had to do this with my friend's Toshiba laptop before. He punched his screen and cracked the LCD.

I did plug a monitor on it but nothing shows i think is because the OS is corrupted and wont boot.
my current laptop is set up on my desk with a monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard.
That's what i want to do with the broken one without having to replace the screen i really don't need it. if is not possible then ill look into a new screen.

what i'm really trying to find out is there a way to to reinstall windows on it using a monitor.
like i said above it docent show wen i plug a monitor i believe is because windows is not loading.

The problem with some laptops is that they won't display on an external monitor during the boot sequence, only once the OS loads and the graphics drivers detect the monitor will it switch. I'm pretty sure this is how my HP is.

yeah the function key dint work so i don't think it will until windows is able to boot.
what i'm thinking of doing is wen i recover the data is to install the harddrive from the broken one in mine install windows and put it back before i install any updates.
you guys think that will work?

Is it the same exact model with same specs? When you install Windows it marries itself to the system (mobo, etc) and if you attempt to put the drive from one system into another you'll get bsod

no both laptops r not the same model.
mine is a Toshiba the broken one is a hp.
what is bsod?
will it be an issue even if i load win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom