Certs VS Degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Degrees are not worth it anymore. some people just slack off in college and that shows that you need to have your hand held to learn the material. Self teaching is better becuase it's of your own accord and you learned it yourself. Not someone holding your hand through it all.

I think certs are better and prove you actually know the material. Just becuase you went to college doesn't mean you actually learned anything. Regular school is the same way. I barely learned anything useful in high school. It was a waste of 4 years. Most regular colleges put fluff classes in to get more money out of you anyways like who needs to retake the same stuff you learned in grade school when you are taking computer sci courses or networking courses?

Plus college puts you in debt so far that any profits you might have gained from getting a higher paying job are losses from the debt you gotta pay back. the average person has over 40,000USD of college debt. Getting the job would require so much experience on top of that it's impossible for a young person just starting out to get that job, they are taken by older seasoned veterans and no younger people can land a good job.

One word for employers, your dream candidate is allready at their dream job. You may have to settle for something else and lower your expectations. or else you will never fill your opening. it also strains the other employees, waiting for someone to take the load off them so they don't have to work so hard.

Just becuase someone has the work experience doesn't mean it was positive. They might have sucked at thier job or only did bare minumum at it.

---------------------------------
The whole subject of the college thing relates to one thing "market saturation control"

For example if the job requirements are lowered more people would be working in the jobs and saturate the market too much.

This example is with cosmetology:

To be a beautician you need to get a cert from the state. To get this you need to complete a cosmetology course, to get this it typically costs from 13,000USD to 30,000USD. They do this becuase just about anyone can learn how to do hair, nails, makeup, etc. And having too many people doing this would saturate the maket so bad people would not be making enough money to make it. So they create hurdles to prevent this from happening.

same thing with computer repair but to a lesser extent becuase you don't need anything from the state. I only pad 60 bucks for 2 tests for my A+ (due to vouchers) (retail is around 200 bucks I think) and that's a baseline starting point. The network+ is the same costs I think. That makes it easier and cheaper to get into that field professionally then cosmetology. However, less people want to get into the pc repair/networking field then people who want to do hair and nails at a salon.

Degrees are not worth it anymore. some people just slack off in college and that shows that you need to have your hand held to learn the material. Self teaching is better becuase it's of your own accord and you learned it yourself. Not someone holding your hand through it all.

I think certs are better and prove you actually know the material. Just becuase you went to college doesn't mean you actually learned anything. Regular school is the same way. I barely learned anything useful in high school. It was a waste of 4 years. Most regular colleges put fluff classes in to get more money out of you anyways like who needs to retake the same stuff you learned in grade school when you are taking computer sci courses or networking courses?

If you can slack off through college and still manage to get a CS degree from a decent school while keeping a good gpa you deserve to get hired because next to no one could pull that off. Computer Science and other Engineering degrees are a LOT of hard work and getting one with a good gpa certainly proves you learned something.

Book smarts are wayyy different then real intellect. There's people who did really good at school and went to college and graduated that are working at mcdonalds and can't even figure out how to work thier new droid or cook or fix simple things around thier house. Those are the people who need college to even teach them anything. They have no capacity to learn on thier own. I've learned way more about computers on my own then I did at any classes I took. I learned three different router OSes in just 3 months in contrast to most people needing years to learn what I did. Just about everything I know is self taught. And look ma! No debt! :p

**** I've learned Revvit architecture studio in just 2 weeks and made my first buildings (one was a 4BR 2 BA complex futuristic house and the other was a 20 story office building that was complex in design) I made 20 total in 3 months when it takes most people at least a year to make thier first 5 buildings!!!!

And where's your money, may I ask?

I knew how to build computers and install XP before I went to college. The degree just prolongs my learning. You'd be surprised what you can learn about more than just in books.

In my opinion both are important yes. As remixedcat mentioned, a person can have as much 'book sense' as they like, when it comes to reality...it just doesn't work for them. That can be true yes. Self learning plays a bit part also, researching and taking matters into your own hand is a good way to go, first hand knowledge (experimenting on personal stuff...for me it was previous PCs owned, which some I crashed lol). I would say if you can pursue a degree and have the motivation...then go for it, it covers a lot of ground and it IS valuable. A certification is also valuable but it's broken down in to many different parts, it seems to be a more concentrated to a certain area kind of thing.

I can't really say what is more important because, but I think a degree is more acceptable on a broader area, I can be wrong though. This whole thing was based on my experiences as I am pursuing a degree at current and I did A+ certification a lil while back.

This is my opinion, if I'm wrong correct me.

I have a decent bit of money, but have spent tons on moving!! I've spent like over 12,000USD on moving expenses alone the past 7 years!!!! I've moved a lot becuase I never seemed to find a decent area they all sucked in some way or another. I'm living in my 10th place in 7 years :p

Plus I buy a lot of stuff all the time LOL>

Also the field of Architecture is cut-throat and male dominated. Most female architects have to sleep around or play and act to get anywhere in the field. I greatly respect Zaha Hadid becuase she is the most successful female architect out there! She is currently doing so many buildings! I also admire her work! However it must have taken great sacrifices for her to get to where she is. I could never do that. Women are treated badly in the field. That's one industry that I don't want to tread on unless I find a niche.

But yeah I think certs are more important. because they do prove you got the skills. Plus some older people have graduated from college so long ago that the knowledge they've obtained through that is obsolete by now, and a lot of people decide to quit learning after college. it stresses them out so much they take a break for an extended time to recharge. They are also burnt out from it as well.

Older people in certain fields (excluding architecture and free formed schedule fields) are more likely to be burned out from years of wear and tear from the job. They may know the material, but they have tired joints and tired minds, so those people might not have the juice to keep going, but they hold on to the jobs for dear life for financial reasons. This is a problem in the Midwest right now. Specially areas like mine with a lot of 50+ populations.

Younger people are more likely to be creative and think of new ways to solve problems. They also are like fully charged batteries ready to go! My mom can never find any other way to fix problems around the house and I always gotta help her all the time. She is very set-in-her-ways and it's extremely hard to get her to budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom