Will this build work, please comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the best i could do with the fans. 4 fans for under $20 that are dead quite and move a reasonable amount of air, especially with 3 of them in the top of the case ( which i recommend you do ).

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan

only gripe i have with these fans is that i dont think they come with a 3 pin to molex adapter, so you would have to plug them into your mother board or get a 3 pin to molex adapter. in which case id get this:

4-Fan Wiring Harness, 3-Pin - infotechnow.com - Computer Store

and im sure you have 1 molex to 3 pin adapter. just plug all those fans into that wiring harness and then that hole harness into that molex adapter. it will keep things neat and tidy ;) if you dont have a 3 pin to molex adapter lemme know ill send one to you for freeeeeee ;)

Sean,

Is overclocking a CPU/GPU/RAM hard?

I don't have the slightest idea on how to even begin to do a overclocking procedure.

I know my guy said can get it to 4.0ghz "pretty easy".(so if that is easy, how fast can he get it???)

But what about the GPU/RAM? (or should I even touch this?)

Thank you.

Wow, that was a lot to take in....

I just read a sticky...

I think I will just pay my guy to do it.

The 930 hits 4.0 pretty easily, my 930 is at 4120MHz stable, had it at 4140 for a few days and it crashed, don't know if that was from OC or from something else so I turned it down.

When overclocking there are two main things to look at: clock and voltage. The clock is how fast the CPU runs. The higher the clock, the faster (and more performance) your CPU (and other components) will be. However, if you push the clock too high your system may become unstable (it will crash with blue screens while running or even at boot-up). On the other hand, voltage has little to do with CPU speed other than that the CPU can execute single instructions faster at higher voltages. Increasing the voltage allows you to push the clock higher without going unstable because of this, but increasing the voltage also increases power consumption (and thus heat output) of the chip. To get a good overclock you need to finely tune the clock and the voltage together and then test to make sure your system is stable and that the temperatures don't get too high.

To adjust the clock on an i7 system, there are a few main things:
BCLK: Base clock, this is the clock frequency of the chipset that is used to calculate the frequency of CPU and RAM as well.
RAM multiplier: This number is multiplied by BCLK to get the RAM speed. Note that DDR ram (of any type) is double data rate, so the real speed is 2*BCLK*RAM multiplier.
CPU multiplier: This number is multiplied by BCLK to get the CPU speed. This number has a locked maximum on most CPU's and is really the only difference between the 920/930/940/950/960 chips. The extreme edition processors (or Black edition for AMD) have an "unlocked multiplier" which allows for extremely high overclocking but only with proper cooling.

In general, you overclock by increasing BCLK. This increases your CPU and RAM speeds together. To get 4.0GHz on an i7 930, I would recommend a 19x multiplier with a 211 BCLK. Since 211x19 = 4009 you're right around 4GHz (a bit over too!) and this is more stable in my experience than 200x20 (exactly 4000) due to unknown reasons. The issue is that pushing your BCLK that high can mess with your RAM (the default BCLK is 133) so you'll likely have to lower the RAM multiplier too. All these settings can be found in the BIOS.

As for voltage, put your CPU VCore at 1.30, CPU QPI at 1.325, DRAM at 1.65 (or 1.66 depending on if your board is even or odd), and IOH/ICH (north/southbridge chips) at 1.16. This is my current settings that work with my particular i7 930. I hope they work for you and if they do work you can try lowering the voltages slightly to see if you can reduce them without being unstable.

To stress test and ensure stability, run either LinX or IntelBurnTest to push your CPU to its limit. These programs deliberately push your CPU so that you can see the maximum load temperatures and test stability. Use CPUID HWMonitor to view the core temperatures and make sure they stay in an acceptable range (I like to stay under 70C but the chip is rated higher, 75-80C may be acceptable but I think it's a bit too high). If any core exceeds 80 for too long stop the test and make sure your heatsink is installed properly and running at full speed. If it runs through one of those programs for several hours without crashing, the system is stable and you can use it at that speed. If it crashes, try turning down BCLK and try again until you find a level where it doesn't crash.

Ok Erick, I've just gone through this thread and merged about 14 of your posts. Please try and remember to use the 'Edit Post' button, as that's what it's there for ;)

Package arrived a little while ago(5PM MTN time).
Just checked everything out.
Should I send back my

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 32mg cache.

For a

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 64mg cache.

****, I wish seen that.

I will order the case tomm, I am going to go with the obsidian 800d after all, it is only 40$ more on amazon. + I can next day air it for 3$ with prime.

Thanks for all the help Sean/others.

This is a really great forum to be part of.

Added..

Sean, can I run 2 computer moniters on my GTX280??

I just seen a 42" 1080p vizio 120hz for 450$ at walmart. <<<< I think I will replace my main computer moniter.(now a 32")>>>>
my current is a 32" 1080p vizio 60hz, got it for $500 about a year and a half ago. (I don't know what happend but It got hot one day, now when it is cold I can see light colored splotches on the on the screen until it warms up!, I purchased the 2 year protection plan, but I tossed it!! **** IT!!! what a waste of 100$)

I am going to be needing a new vid card asap, it only has 1 gig.

nah, just keep the hard drive you got.

and im pretty sure you can run 2 monitors on that graphics card... im not sure tho... i thought you were gunna get the 5970?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom