L12 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
I read that this mod basically makes your BIOS think that the default speed of the chip you're putting in is 200FSB instead of, in the case of my 35w 2400+ XP-M 133....this in theory says that it'll make it so that the BIOS has certain timing tables that are best suited for a 200FSB chip thus allowing better stability for overclocking...compared to if the BIOS is recognizing a chip that's default 133 and then trying to raise it to 200FSB. Anyone understand what I'm saying? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to reseat my heatsink and good stuff to do that mod because I could indeed use more stability as I'm having a b!tch of a time getting this thing prime95 stable. I hit 2.7GHz on air with full load only being like 40C and by everything I've read that's pretty damn good temps and I should be able to OC it further. Also the "I" steppings are supposed to be able to gain 100MHz over A steppings.

I used this site as reference to my CPU and OC:

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

and plan on doing this L12 mod:

http://www.techdot.com/talk/topic1221.html

whatchoo guys think?

Oh come on damnit. I help everyone hear out all the time and the few times I post a couple questions no one has any suggestions or thoughts?

Im pretty sure i understand... and i say go for it and see what happens. If it can run more stable, then awesome. If the mod doesn't work.. somethin you can learn :).
My only question would be why would raising your FSB to 200 with the MOD be any different than changing it in your bios? I mean the CPU is still running the same.. right?

well the theory is is that the BIOS recognizes it's default as a 3200+ chip and 'feels it' as a default 200FSB chip instead of seeing a 133MHZ defaulted chip simply brought up to 200FSB level.

so in theory the chip acts as a 3200? whats stopping any chip from doin such a thing? You would think that with the 2400 mp, the chip's structure would still limit the chip's overclocking potential. I guess what im gettin at is that i'd like some proof of this before i can believe it :D ..

well all I can suggest is you click that link that I'm going to use as reference. That's the best way I can explain it. Your BIOS with the L12 Mod will see your chip as a 200FSB chip...this way the BIOS 'prepares' itself for a 200FSB chip and expects the chip to be running at that speed. Whereas without the L12 mod it detects a 133FSB chip and the BIOS 'prepares' itself and optimizes itself for those settings...so then instability starts getting hit because the BIOS recognizes that it's default is supposed to be 133, but you're raising it to 200 instead of the BIOS thinking 'Yeah 200 thats where it's supposed to be' see what I'm saying? It also helps on locked chips, but the BIOS I have has a softmod L12 in it with just 166FSB and I want the 200 which if you check that link requires two copper wires.

EDIT:
whats stopping any chip from doin such a thing?
Because every chip has a different architecture and it'd require jumping different pins.

ah i got you now, it makes sense. Seems like an excelent idea, if it works as it should it could change how everyone overclocks. Does it only apply to mobile chips or can i do it with my XP 2400+? And how would i find the correct slots to connect with the wire?

Well every review I've read said that people couldn't get past the 'infamous 215FSB barrier' and upon doing this mod allowed them to gain another 10FSB. I think it was my RAM that was hurting me cause it just got fried last night which caused a corrupt file in my HD because of the restarts which caused a format, but now I'm running at 2.6GHz 13x200 at 1.925 Vcore and it's prime95 stable for 10 hours so I know it's stable...computer wouldn't do that with my 512mb RAM that was in here before so that probably had something to do with it. I'm reluctant to take off the heatsink cause I just put it on two weeks ago with AS5 and I have yet to leave a heatsink on long enough for the AS5 to completely settle.

Does it only apply to mobile chips or can i do it with my XP 2400+?

It is mainly for mobiles, but it will indeed work for your 2400+ XP....I also have the 2400+ XP, yes that's right, my main computer (the one I'm writing on now) has the 35w 2400+ XP-M while my secondary machine in my room has the 2400+ XP lol. This mod does indeed unlock the chip to 166FSB with only one wire used and 200FSB with two wires used.....remember though you'd want to also clear your CMOS when you did this because you'd then be trying to boot up your 2400+ at 15x200 since it's default is 15....if you clear the CMOS with the newly opened multiplier it should default to like.....6 multiplier or something of that sort.

The 2400+ XP is supposedly a good overclocker (I read this quite some time ago) but it's the multiplier lockage that really stops it. Some chips are old enough to already have an unlocked multiplier, usually before week39...yours probably isn't unless you've had that CPU for a long ass time. And the only way to check the week is to look at the sticker on the CPU itself. They also sell whats called 'Speed Strips' That basically wires the pins for you. a Piece of paper that fits around a certain section of pins and 'jumps' them if you will to unlock the multiplier. Read about it here:

http://www.speed-strip.com/over.htm

If you read at the bottom they used a 2400+ XP for testing. I was actually thinking of getting that strip. They say upon using the strip and rebooting it defaulted to the lowest multi of 6 which means the strip is working.

ak_smallz.....click that link I provided at the very top..the second link...that shows you where to put the copper wire in the socket holes....this is the same thing as the speed strip...the speed strip fits around the pins to hold onto something, but at the same time it has tiny wiring to connect two of the pins on your CPU...when you put a U-Shape copper wire into the socket holes like the image demonstrates, this is doing the same thing...electricity from one pin hits the other and causes the right connection...so the principle is the same...it works in the same fashion...someone just made up the 'Speed Strip' to make it easier on some people and obviously for money reasons. Any Thoroughbread or Barton core will work with the speed strip so I'm pretty sure the L12 mod is based on the same principle.

EDIT: Not that this needs to be any longer, but at the top of the SPEED STRIP page it tells you that the newer XP's can no longer be unlocked with this method. And an article also explains why this is and that no wire trick, bridge trick or anything like that can unlock these multipliers because they are coming out factory locked. You can read the article here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=244237

Then you have to see if you have the steppings that could still be unlocked. So if your 2400+ XP is early enough you can unlock the multi, if it's not I'm not sure if you can, but you could still try the L12 mod anyway. I might just have to do it on my secondary. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom