Thinking of updating to a quad core now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
Currently I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 5000+

I've been thinking about upgrading my dual core to a quad core sometime soon. What is the difference in the two? I'm not sure where to begin or what information I need to do this. Here is a copy/paste from my System Information for Windows for my current processor:

Property Value
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / 2 Cores / 2 Logical Processors / 64 bits
CPU Full Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
CPU Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
CPU Code Name Brisbane
Platform Name Socket AM2 (940)
Revision BH-G2
Technology 65 nm
Instructions MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, NX, VMX
Original Clock 2600 MHz
Original System Clock 200 MHz
Original Multiplier 13.0
CPU Clock 2612 MHz
System Clock 200.9 MHz
HT Link 1004.6 MHz
Core 0 Speed 2612.0 MHz
Core 0 Multiplier 13.0
Core 1 Speed 2612.0 MHz
Core 1 Multiplier 13.0
L1 Data Cache 2 x 64 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache 2 x 64 KBytes
L2 Cache 2 x 512 KBytes

I guess what I am asking is, is it worth it to upgrade my processor to a quad core? Will there be a noticeable difference in speed? Due to my motherboard I can't install more then 4GB of RAM, so I guess I could always upgrade the processor. Where do I begin looking into this, and what do I need to know if I decide to upgrade, or if it is worth it at all.

I have an ASUS E4438-AM SE2. I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM (2 x 2GB). There are only two slots and an upgrade is not possible according to the MoBo operating guide.
I have a ANTEC 550W PSU and a 1GB GeForce GT 240. I think those are the only 3 things that would really affect or be affected by a CPU.

Hey Pro, I saw your post and looked at your motherboard specs.
Your Mobo is AM3 ready, the one only thing I am concerned is about is the CPU wattage use.
If it can handle up to 95watt cpu support I recommend you look at this:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX

If your mobo supports up to 125 watts look here:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

If your mobo can handle any one of these 2 start looking at these closer, also I highly advised you watch your eletric bill, if you are going to put your pc through some hard work such as, autocad, adobe photoshop, cakewalk sonar music products or anything else demanding, especially F@H.
If your not a married man yet, than you won't have to worry about your woman meeting you at home with a bill in hand and a baseball bat in the other hand. :p

Hey Pro, I saw your post and looked at your motherboard specs.
Your Mobo is AM3 ready, the one only thing I am concerned is about is the CPU wattage use.
If it can handle up to 95watt cpu support I recommend you look at this:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX

If your mobo supports up to 125 watts look here:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

If your mobo can handle any one of these 2 start looking at these closer, also I highly advised you watch your eletric bill, if you are going to put your pc through some hard work such as, autocad, adobe photoshop, cakewalk sonar music products or anything else demanding, especially F@H.
If your not a married man yet, than you won't have to worry about your woman meeting you at home with a bill in hand and a baseball bat in the other hand. :p

I was just going back through my old posts and I did end up getting the first CPU you posted coupled with this RAM... they go nicely together... you are right, my wife didn't like the bill, but my high graphic games run w/o a twitch now, even in huge firefights :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom