OC question, please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Daemon Poster
i have read quite a bit on overclocking and yet i find myself stuck at not being able to overclock my AMD athlon XP 1800+ past 132 FSB... why is this my ceiling? in the bios window i can select anywhere from 100-132 and nowhere do i see anything for Vcore, or other options... it is VIA chipset, my memory is running at 166mhz(333), 2*256 modules of ram. Thanks in advance for any help im given, thanks guys

what kind of motherboard are you using? Perhaps your motherboard is simply not made for overclocking and doesn't have the options. The Abit NF7-S v2 board has TONS of options exactly everything you need. Keep in mind your CPU isn't really built for overclocking, the 2500+ XP barton core chip is an excellent overclocker as well as the 35w 2400+, 2500+ and 2600+ XP-M yes that's an XP-Mobile it'll fit in socket a board. And its half the wattage so it runs cooler and has a LOT of overclocking potential

so should i go for a mobile chip? does it cost more? and how much more overclocking can i get out of it? and why does a mobile chip fit in a socket A mobo? why not build all chips to run at half the wattage if they can produce same performance?

sorry to ask so many questions but i appreciate all answers and your help in all my threads nubius... :)

it lets me overclock some, up to 132*12.5(the multiplier)... but beyond that it is no good, and the memory is not holding it back, so i dont know what is wrong.

Mobiles are usually cheaper...they fit in socket A because they ARE socket a simple as that. If it's the same socket it'll fit. There's no such thing as a 'mobile socket a' socket and a 'desktop socket a' socket ya see what I mean? When I bought my 35w 2400+ XP-M it was $87 at newegg but last time I checked it went up to $98. You can get quite a bit of overclocking out of these atleast 400MHz extra to bring it to 3200+ speeds which that chip is twice the cost.

why not build all chips to run at half the wattage if they can produce same performance?

Ya know I really don't know that. They build the laptops with half the wattage simply because the Laptop wouldn't be able to put out enough power for a 65w chip and besides that it keeps it cooler. Why they simply don't make desktop chips at 35w I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure they have some reason for it, but it would make sense to make a 35w desktop designed chip I suppose.

You still never answered my question...WHAT MOTHERBOARD DO YOU HAVE?

Beyond that, if you really want to overclock yes go with a mobile. the 2500+ XP is also another noteworthy overclocking chip, but overall I say either get the 2400, 2500, or 2600+ XP-M and make sure you get the 35w not the 45w because they do have seperate ones like that. The 2400+ XP-M has 512k L2 Cache compared to the desktop version, 2400+ XP only has 256K L2 Cache so that's a nice bonus. Default of 2400+ XP-M is 1.8GHz and 2400+ XP is 2.0GHz, but the XP-M reaching 2.0GHz is like a walk in the park, that's not even a challenge for it. Getting it stable at 2.3 and 2.4 is where it starts getting a little more trickier.

it lets me overclock some, up to 132*12.5(the multiplier)... but beyond that it is no good, and the memory is not holding it back, so i dont know what is wrong.

Your chip isn't designed for OC'ing in mind man, so I'd really stop trying to push it before you wind up actually frying it. Yes you technically can Overclock ANY chip, but certain ones are better for it and yours definitely doesn't rank in that club. If anything I'd just try to do what I did. I had a 2400+ XP so I just bought a new mobo and the 2400+ XP-M and built a second system using my old chip and motherboard...obviously I had other spare parts lying around to be able to build that 2nd machine, but I'm just saying it's an option :p Good luck

so these are the components i have...

2*256 meg RAM(333)
1*512 meg RAM(266)
9600 pro graphix card
60 gig 5400 RPM HD
20 gig 5400 RPM HD
30 gig 5400 RPM HD
2 cd burners 52x burn
2 dvd drives
good mouse and keyboard...

now nubius what would you suggest as mobo and processor, and what else may i need to buy, im kinda on a budget... but also do they sell 64bit mobile chips? and do they overclock well? if you dont know about the overclockability of other chips where can i find out? i know you previously suggested the board you have... do i get dual channel memory with that? and does it have nice onboard audio?thanks again in advance

I'd suggest getting HD's with atleast 7200 RPM, that 5400 will be slow. I don't know if they sell 64 mobile chips just search newegg I suppose but I'm pretty sure they don't have those yet. And anything 64 bit will be expensive. The ABit NF7-S v2 board that I have has perfect sound for my needs. 6 channel audio I believe and sounds good playing music and playing games. I have the MSI KT6V which has basic options in the BIOS and has 5 channel sound which is decent, but not as good as the NF7-S v2 plus that MSI board is a little older. Yes the ABit board has dual channel memory and it depends on what MSI board you get that supports dual channel.

But for the 2nd or 3rd time now you still haven't told me what motherboard YOU have.

I saw that there are some mobile processors but I don't know if it's socket 939 or how good they are to overclocking like the 2400+ XP-M's are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom