What's holding back my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musketman007

Baseband Member
I am currently having problems playing starcraft 2 and I was wondering if one of my PC components is holding back my systems performance.

Tech Specs:

Dell XPS 400

CPU- Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz

Memory- 4GB (2GB at 533 MHz and 2GB at 667 MHz)

I just upgraded my memory from from 2GB to 4GB and didn't really notice that much of a change, especially in SC2.

Video Card- Radeon HD 4850 1GB at 1280 x 1024 resoultion

PSU -375W

When playing starcraft 2, my screen often goes black during loading screens and takes over two minutes to come back to normal. I have removed old display drivers and updated them and still no change. Also my FPS is very low in game (reaches 1 sometimes and usually hangs around 2-11 in big battles). It recommends ultra settings, but I can hardly manage playing on medium settings. I was hoping that doubling the RAM to 4GB would solve the problem but it hasn't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alex N.

Might be a wild guess but Ive had this problem before. Your power supply might not be powerful enough to supply the juice to your system, especially when under load. I'm guessing it's a cheap unbranded one. you may want to upgrade the power supply to something bigger to ensure stability such as :

OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W Power Supply - Aria Technology

or :

OCZ OCZ400SXS-UK StealthXStream 400W Silent ATX2.2 Power Supply - Aria PC

That's just my thoughts as the restof your system seems fine.

- Josh.

Might be a wild guess but Ive had this problem before. Your power supply might not be powerful enough to supply the juice to your system, especially when under load. I'm guessing it's a cheap unbranded one. you may want to upgrade the power supply to something bigger to ensure stability such as :

OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W Power Supply - Aria Technology

or :

OCZ OCZ400SXS-UK StealthXStream 400W Silent ATX2.2 Power Supply - Aria PC

That's just my thoughts as the restof your system seems fine.

- Josh.

+1 I didn't see till now what your psu was that's definitely a downer

32 bit, and the PSU is the stock one that came with the xps 400. I just spent 200 bucks upgrading my system, I feel like I'm slowly replacing every component in my system. I have never replaced a PSU before though, Is it difficult? Many of the wires seem to go into places that I won't be able to get into.

Also, you guys don't think my CPU is holding back my system at all do you?

your CPU is probably bottlenecking your HD 4850. however, it shouldn't cause black screens.

2 possible causes I think why the black screen is occuring;

1. same as above, your power supply is not providing enough power.
2. something is over heating.

With a 32-bit operating system you can only fully harness 3 gigs of ram so 1 gig isn't doing anything and It MIGHT being throwing off your balance for dual channel.

Would you kindly download cpuz and HWmonitor and post a screen shot of cpuz on the memory tab, hwmonitor, and "My Computer" properties?

This way we can see if you're running dual channel and see your temps

asdasdasd.jpg

So you're only harnessing 3.5gb of ram out of 4 so thats one issue that would be fixed by upgrading to 64bit but besides that I don't know why it would lag besides being underpowered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom