Fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1y23

Baseband Member
im going to put a new fan in on my comp because my GPU overheats even with the side panel off. Im going to put the fan in the side panel but i was wondering if it should be intake or exhaust.

For some reason i can play halo of css but when i try to load doom 3 the card overheats the second the level loads. is that normal?

Do you have the stock cooling on? I doubt it is overheating even with stock cooling, unless you have it overclocked. The 9800 Pro is a hot running card, but not that bad. Also, if it is overheating get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-115&depa=0
It is great (I have one), they lower the temps a lot and exhaust the hot air off the heatsink and out of the case. I got a great OC off my card because of this fan (see my awuamark score below). It is a great investment. Let me know.

if you can get a temp sensor, then you place it between the gpu and the heat sink. Usually, our 9800 Pro dont have this built in. But, if you look at your P/N number on your card's board, you should see and number like this one: XXX-AOXXXX-00-AT. It will be something like that, but it will have the same groupings. The second set should the last four numbers of 7XXX or 8XXX. If it is like 7533 (mine) it was built like a normal 9800pro, but if it is an 8XXX then you have XT parts on your board. That means you have a temp sensor built in. So you can download Ati Tool (overclocking tool) and it will tell you your temps! That also means you can really OC the hell out of your card! AND_YOU_ARE, I assume you have OCed some, cause your 3dmark05 score is higher than mine before i OCed. Although it may be your processor.

**edit: I forgot to say this: because my board isnt an "XT" board i dont have a temp sensor, so I dont have a clue what the temp is. But, before i got the vga silencer, i could always touch the heatsink and it was never to hot to touch and after the i installed it, you can fell the air being exhausted out the back. That air almost never gets hotter.

I looked and mine is 7537, so i guess i dont have it either. What program are you using to OC your card? I also noticed a 250+ pt increase from catalyst drivers 4.6 to 4.10. I do have a front fan controller, and it comes with four temp sencors, how would I go about placing this with the card? Right now I have it next to the heatsink.

Make sure you blow out your comp with a can of compressed air while your at it. The dust that gathers on a computer's inards also leads to overheating problems as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom