Same internet issue with two motherboards? Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Long story short, I upgraded a few parts in my computer recently, my motherboard, my cpu, and my ram. When I first installed all my new hardware and re-installed my OS, my internet connection kept kicking in and out, then stopped working altogether. I tried my laptop on the same line from my router and all, and it seemed definite the issue was with my hardware.

When I contacted my boards manufacturer (ASUS), they told me it sounded like my Ethernet connection on my board "had a bad neck" (their words), and told me it needed to be returned. So, I returned the board and got a new one, and though it is working far better, I still have some issues when my computer first starts up. Basically, shortly after booting up, my internet will typically kick in and out a few times over the next min or so, then it works fine.

I contacted ASUS again and at this point they told me the only thing it can be is my PSU. I did a check on http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PowerSupplyCalculator_right.aspx , and according to that site, my min should be 500w, which is where I'm at right now. So, though I am at the minimum and it is the only thing the CS rep at ASUS could come up with, I'm hoping for a second opinion (or more of course) on the matter? Is there a possibility of anything else here? I mean it would seem to me like playing games on the computer would use more power than after having booted up, but I could be wrong. Plus why would my ethernet be the one and only thing I'd have issues with if my PSU was running short of enough juice? I just want to make sure there's no other possibility before I spend even more money on another part for my computer. Thoughts?

You are fine with 500. Try updating your driver, from the manufacturer of your ethernet chip, not from ASUS's cd/website. It should be on your motherboard, on the upper left side. If you can tell us the model, we can help you more.

You are fine with 500. Try updating your driver, from the manufacturer of your ethernet chip, not from ASUS's cd/website. It should be on your motherboard, on the upper left side. If you can tell us the model, we can help you more.

thanks for the info, i'll have to try to do that tomorrow.

as far as my mobo, the model is: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

Just to update, I checked Realtek's website to try to find updated drivers and no luck. My model (Realtek RTL8112L) is not even listed on their site.

I do know when I first got all my windows updates that there was a driver update for it there which I installed. Not really sure what to do now?

Did you try rolling back the driver? Go to device manager and click your ethernet card.

Being that I can't find it through my sources, get the one from ASUS online.

Edit: If you are running Windows 7, try this: Download Asus P5Q-VM Realtek RTL8111B/C/RTL8112L LAN Driver 7.3.522.2009 for Win7 Driver for Windows 7 / Windows 7 x64 - Softpedia

It is from a different board, but it has the driver for your system

I actually completely uninstalled my old driver and re-installed the latest one from asus's website. Still the exact same problem. I don't see the driver as being the issue, especially considering it did the same thing with the initial driver as it did with this one.

Get a pci/pci-x ethernet. I think your Ethernet port is cooked. I had a similar problem with a ASUS board, that the Ethernet port was recognized, but cant connect to the network.

Well, exchanged the board once again, and it turns out is was indeed another bad LAN on that mobo. Apparently ASUS said that the LAN's are the most common thing to give out first on a mobo. Everything is working great now though. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. Guess I just had bad luck there, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom