Windows won't work on my 40GB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
ok this is what's happened:
I booted up Windows, went to log on and it froze before loading explorer.exe
tried it againa few times, still froze
so I did a repair-install, and then when I booted up it blue-screened me before getting to the logon screen
I went into the backup installation and it booted fine (?) and so I restarted to go into the main installation and it gave me a different error, something to do with the revision number not being correct, and I remember lsass.exe being mentioned
I restarted again and went into the backup installation and it told me a .dll was corrupt - so I was like WTF it booted fine before
so I put in the XP CD and went into the recovery console, replaced the corrupt .dll file of the backup installation from the main one, and replaced lsass.exe of the main installation from the backup and restarted
then it said services was corrupt

so I rebooted into the backup installation, moved some of my files onto my 160GB drive and reformatted

I installed Windows and everything went fine, and I put in the user names and reinstalled the programs, but after a day or 2 it stopped working again

I installed Windows onto my 160GB drive, installed Norman and Antivir, scanned with both on both HDD's and didn't find anything

so now I don't know what to do

I didn't overclock anything, the only recent hardware change was putting in my 160GB HDD, which works fine, and did work with the 40GB as the master with the OS on it. it was only after the OS had problems on it that I installed Windows on my 160GB drive
my 40GB is still set to master, and has a half-installed XP on it ATM and won't fully install

i'm having the same problem..i just got a 80 gig harddrive and i can't seem to format it ..i tried a fresh install with xp and it just locks up....and then i tried 98se i get..( the first hard drive does not contain a FAT 16 or FAT 32 windows partition" so i F1 to change this and i get the A:\> so i type in..fdisk.. it then asks if i want to enable large disk support i enter y..then i get "error reading fixed disk...so i type in scandisk..is only scans A..anything i try to do in C: it just doesn't see it..is this a bad hard drive? or am i screwing up ..ive tried format c:\ ive tried fdiskc: nothing just hangs or locks up i put the old harddrive back in and it works like a charm>>>what gives what can i try...thanks in advance...
there is only one hard drive so i don't know why it's saying first harddrive

Limit the capacity using the apropriate jumpers, thats ur problem, well it was for my hard drive. Something iffy about windows. Try it limit ur hard drive format etc etc bla bla bla.

Should be all working. ;-)

horris1st said:
Limit the capacity using the apropriate jumpers, thats ur problem, well it was for my hard drive. Something iffy about windows. Try it limit ur hard drive format etc etc bla bla bla.

Should be all working. ;-)

okay thanks for the reply..where should my jumpers be i have two jumpers on it now should i remove one ..and how do i limit my format or was that what you were talking about with the jumpers?

trugoy said:
okay thanks for the reply..where should my jumpers be i have two jumpers on it now should i remove one ..and how do i limit my format or was that what you were talking about with the jumpers?

You only need one jumper- master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom