SSD or Velociraptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the SSD. I'am using the Intel X25M 80GB SSD. You can download an SSD management tool which defragments and looks after your SSD, you just run it once a week and your SSD will not decrease in performance. It only works for the Intel X25 series of SSD's though. BTW iam Aussie to, I buy from PC Case Gear, great site, cheap prices.

You should never defragment a SSD.

Most of the other manufacturers have tools as well but you only need them if you are running an older OS like XP or Vista that doesn't support TRIM.

I have a SATA III (6gb/s) WD Caviar Black with 64MB cache and I don't mind the load times. Windows boots fast and games load reasonably quickly. It isn't lightning speed but it only cost $80 for 640GB, leaving room to buy a good CPU and GPU which are much more important when gaming.
Could you find a link to this drive if its still around?

@ puddle jumper, iam aware that u never defrag SSD's, i own one!!!!!! but this program keeps my SSD up to speed, I've had it for 1 year now and its read and write speeds are the same as when i bought it, Thanks to this program (Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox) The description says "Optimizes Intel's 34nm SSD's Including Trim Functionality" i run it once a week.

Ah, ok. The SSD Toolbox basically is a manual way to run TRIM if you are using a OS that doesn't support it. If you are on Windows 7 the OS should take care of the SSD on it's own but running the Toolbox too can't hurt.

Windows 7 will issue the TRIM command anytime you empty your recycle bin. It may not actually run the command until you reboot though.

You have Windows 7 and a New SSD, How do you know if TRIM is working?

Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
<Enter>

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

How do I Enable TRIM?

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
<Enter>

How do I Disable TRIM?

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1
<Enter>

Windows 7 will issue the TRIM command anytime you empty your recycle bin. It may not actually run the command until you reboot though.
what happens if you never empty the recycle bin?
I always use shift+delete (skips the file going to recycle bin step, and just permanently deletes file. well not exactly permanent, but you know what I mean.)

what happens if you never empty the recycle bin?
I always use shift+delete (skips the file going to recycle bin step, and just permanently deletes file. well not exactly permanent, but you know what I mean.)

I really don't know for sure, but I would assume it still initiates the TRIM command as either way a file/files are being marked as deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom