Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Old Gaming Rig.

Click Here to Login
Thread: Old Gaming Rig.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
RichM499
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: Old Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
The gigabyte will allow you to eventually uprade to a better chip, while still keeping your current components. While the Asrock is only a am2+ board so youre staying old gear still.

The gigabyte will be your best route to go if on a tight budget, as you don't waste any money when you do update.
You've got it backwards. The Gigabyte is the one using older tech. The Asrock has support for DDR3, and it will allow him to use his current DDR2 until he can afford the switch to DDR3. It would serve as a nice stepping stone.

Also, both motherboards support AM3 processors.

Gigabyte CPU support list: GA-M68M-S2P (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List
Asrock CPU support list: ASRock > Products > N68C-S UCC > CPU Support List

I would go with the Asrock in his situation

To answer the OP:

If I were on a tight budget I would want to use the current hardware, and try to step up 1 piece at a time until everything is new.
If you go with the ASrock motherboard you linked, you can use ALL of your current parts, and you have room to upgrade to Phenom II x6 hex core, DDR3 memory, and you won't need to upgrade the motherboard again for a while.
If you go with the Gigabyte motherboard you'll be stuck using DDR2, and you'll have to pay an outrageous fee for high-end DDR2 if you want to really upgrade the memory later. Not to mention in a year (or two?) you'll be in the same situation of wanting to upgrade, but it will end up costing you because you'll have to upgrade the motherboard, AND the memory.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.