New Member - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I am a new member here and I'm in the process of gathering parts so far for my first build. Ive done hours and hours of research and moded "out of the box" systems before but have never done a ground up build.

My build isnt a cheap build but a "bang for your buck" build as well as being upgradable moving forward. As I begin to assemble and run it I may run into issues so I figured I would be prepared and join up.

Current parts list:

Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz CPU - $189 free shipping
EVGA P55 SLI Mobo - $139.99 free shipping, after $40 Rebate
EVGA 9800GT 1GB Graphics card - $79.99 free shipping after $30 Rebate
OCZ Fatality 550w Power Supply - $49 free shipping after $20 Rebate
Cooler Master Elite 310 Case - $39 free shipping

Pending purchase:
Western Digital 1TB Sata hard drive - 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - $79.99
Lite-on DVD/CD RW Combo
8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram - Probably GSkill or OCZ

Returns so far:
Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU $39

Build nearing completion...

Purchased and installed:

Lite-ON 24x DVD RW Drive - $22 Free Shipping
4GB (2x2GB) G Skill Eco DDR3 Ram 1600 - $95 - $2.99 shipping

Pending Delivery to Complete Build:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD 7200 RMP 64mb cache - $74.95 Free Shipping

all I can say is you really done your homework.
looks like an awesome build, only thing lacking may be the 9800GT.

don't forget to post some pictures of the computer :)

oh and welcome to Tech-Forums.net

Thanks!

I have definetly done allot of reading and digging on this build. I had to skimp on the GPU because I just couldnt pass on the "deal". $79! You kidding me? Sign me up lol.

Also I would've preferred to have 8GB of ram on 2 4GB sticks but DDR3 memory is ridiculously priced so i had to cut back.

I took a few pics last night during assembly I will post them up when Im done.

I will power it up tonight after I install the HD.

Ordered today:

2x Rosewill RFA-120-K 120mm Case Fan 2000 RPM 74.48 CFM - $9 - $2.99 Shipping

(These will be side and intake fans)

Bah my old comp wont upload the pics...

Im busy with housework tonight but I will post pics tomorrow after I finish loading the OS.

Build went off with only a minor issue...

CPU kept overheating and shutting down the comp. I pulled the heatsync off and reseated it and it was fine. Apparently I didnt have it completely seated.

Installed Windows 7 64 bit.

Overall I am very pleased.

I installed 2 Rosewill 120mm fans...my only qualm at the moment is that my motherboard doesnt have a compatable fan control program so I have to go into the BIOS to adjust the fan settings. SpeedFan 4.41 doesnt recognize the motherboard so I only get the CPU temp and heatsync fan control.

Any suggestions on this?

Edit: I will be adding a CPU cooler soon. Researching them now. Will get pics once I transfer them over from the old HD to the new HD.

Norm CPU temp reading 52-54C. I would like to get that down into the 30's. Highest I have seen lately is 58C under a heavy load. I am not doing any overclocking on this rig.

While doing some research I also just discovered that I did a terrible job on wire/cable management...I will clean it it up before I post pics. It looks embarassing ha ha ha.

Congrats on your first build, I enjoy them so much, i wish i had tones of pc parts lying around just so i could put them together, lol.

Congrats I just built my first as well. Cable mgt. is not my strong suite either lol.
I also just dealt with that problem in speedfan 4.41. I cannot even control my CPU fan without a fan control unit or a 4pin connector as I have a 3pin now. If yours can be controled you are a step ahead, as for peripheral fans im not sure. I have 1 fan connected to the mobo and 2 more connected to peripheral plugs on the PSU and they are at full blast.
If you are taking the temps off of speedfan they might be wrong. Bios shows my CPU at 31c and case at 25c, speedfan showed my CPU at 18c. Big difference but I trust Bios more than speedfan which doesn't even control my fans.

Thanks! Building is definetly something that can be addictive...I can see it now ha ha ha.

I have temp readings as a "gadget" on windows 7...I have a numeric display on the actual Mobo where I can read the temp displayed in the window of the case so I dont use speedfan for temp readings. I was trying to use it for fan control as all of my fans are plugged into the Mobo.

Hmmmm...guess its time to do some more research.

So far the i5 760 has been a pleasant surprize. Its not the biggest or badest CPU on the block but its been outstanding so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom