Virus/adware/trojan protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wllmr

Beta member
Is there a piece of hardware and or software which will stop adware/trojans from entering a system and executing. I have a friend who want to buy a router with a firewall to stop adware/trojans from entering his system. I don't feel that this is the right thing to do. Tell me if I am wrong, but, I though there was not any way to stop it from coming, only ways to remove. Am I correct?

Bill

Please scroll down a bit and check out the Virus section located right below the Windows area. We have many topics on prevention.

You can stop it from coming and from executing. But it is all relative to the definitions used by the program. If they recognize part of the virus they can stop it from even downloading. But if the virus is newer than the definitions then it will still come and you have to remove it.

But isn't that my point. There is no single way of stopping it from coming in. He would have to buy many different routers, or firewalls to protect himself, and with that bog down his system.

Bill

I dont even use a firewall and i use a single router. I stop at least 99% of all infections from making it onto my system. So yes it can be done without all the stuff that your friend thinks is needed. I do it everyday on multiple machines in multiple homes. Last time i was infected was my own fault and not the fault of anything i did on the internet either. That was over a year ago as well. So yes it can be done with simple tactics. I dont stay on the "Light" side of the internet either. A lot of my research and efforts to help people take me to some very bad part of the internet. Yet i still manage to stay clean with no firewall and just a single router.

It can easily be done. You just have to know how to do it.

So yes it can be stopped. No way people like myself and many others on this site can stay clean without stopping it from coming in. I only run my scans once a week. Yet every week all of my scans turn out clean. There is a reason for that. I stop it from entering my system.

Ok that was the answer I was looking for. Can you tell me what router you use.

Bill

I just use a basic D-Link DIR-628. Combine that with use of Microsoft Security Essentials and a lot of browser protection has kept me safe. The use of things like Firefox with add-ons like NoScript, FlashBlock and Ad Block have been able to help me keep the nasties of my PC. Using Browser like Opera with the Flash Block and Ad Block they have also help. Same thing for Chrome as well. Just about every browser have add-ons that will help keep a person safe. Including IE.

But that doesnt help prevent user errors though. Such as clicking that link that is sent to them via IM or Email or Facebook. I do not click any link that i have not requested from a person. If they send me a link i contact them to make sure that they sent it to me for me to check out instead of just blindly clicking it. Even when searching i use tools such as WOT (Web of Trust) to know how the web site is rated to see if it is known to be a bad site or not.

Just about everything done is used in unison to help keep me protected. There are very rare occasions where i click a link blindly. I only click on the link if i really must know the information on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom