New to the forums Looking build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordylll

In Runtime
Hello I am currently deployed to Afghanistan but getting ready to return in a few months. So celebration starts with building a new rig! I have 3 kids that I have to build for at the end of the year so I am trying to get a 1200.00 gaming rig build for myself. Here is what I have chosen so far. If you could pass advise or suggestions it would be appreciated Also I am an AMD fanboy so I wont go with intel :lol:

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

I am going to be using 2x of the optical drives and I only use ATI for chipsets on gpu. Thanks guys/gals

A bit of overkill on the PSU, unless you plan on doing Crossfire in future.

I would spring for the Phenom II X6 - only $20 or so, and you get 6-core instead of 4-core.

Otherwise, it all looks good :)

Thanks, and yes the PSU I went over because I want to Crossfire around Jan. The PII x6 black pushes cost almost $150.00, when in reality there wont be full utilization of the 6 cores anytime soon (thats my theory anyway, and unlocked multiplier only lol) Any suggestions on cpu cooling? Also what about the RAM that is the one thing I have been having fits about trying to get squared away.

Ah, well if you want unlocked multiplier then fair enough :)

RAM-wise, as long as it's DDR3, 1600MHz and from a decent brand (OCZ/Corsair/G.Skill//Kingston/Crucial), you're fine. Remember you want 2x2GB.

I'm guessing from the insistence on an unlocked CPU, you're gonna be overclocking? So, my reply to CPU cooling is, how far do you want to OC? If you want an amazing air cooler, look into the TRUE Copper. I'm not the cooler guru round (that's Slaymate), so I'll leave any more sensible recommendations to him and others :)

Thanks I will wait for Slaymate for the cooling

I have read tests results of people being able to push these to 4.0 but I would probably be happy at 3.8 on air, also thanks for the replies much appreciated. Once its together (wont be home until the end of the year) I will post pics.

i HIGHLY reccoemend you go with an intel i5 build.... with that said:

i have my AMD phenom II 965 water cooled and i cant get stable over 3.8ghz. my idle temp is 28* and load temp is 36* and i cant get it to boot passed 3.8ghz to save my life....

id get a board with a 890 chip set, not the last gen 790 chipset, like this one:

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

This ram is the beez kneez!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

and anyone of these coolers will get you awesome temps and the best chance at overclocking ( in order from beastliest to eh... less beastliest )

Noctua NH-D14 ( arguable the best air cooler on the market, Slaymate will disagree but hes a hater :p )
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Coolermaster V8
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B + 2 fans
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

Corsair A70
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

Coolermaster V6 GT
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan

Apologies for the late response sattelite connection out here in Afghanistan is lacking at best. I read some more and it seems that some of the chips are able to be pushed to 4.0 (this was a german test team; artice from Toms Hardware <wont put link to another site not sure if I am allowed>) but the US team said the same as you where they were unable to push past 3.8 with water. I am guessing it depends which batch you get will determine your oc rate and I doubt 4.0 will be stable after more then 20 minutes. I went ahead and went with the coolermaster V8 for cpu cooling, had one about 2 years ago on a Athlon 64 X2 6400 black and was able to push that chip to 3.3 with that cooler stable. 100% agree with you on the RAM just trying to decide if I am really going to need 8 gigs of it since there will 1gig dedicated vid memory (2 gigs come January). Really thinking that 4 gigs would be enough at this point since its only a gaming rig of course open to thoughts.

I haven't seen any reviews showing increase in performance for the new 890FX board vs the older model. Also the design is the same with the exception of USB 3.0. Let me know if I am missing something or overlooked something between those 2 boards. Mobo's are not my strength what so ever :) Also gave rep to both you guys/gals for being very helpful and welcoming to the forums, I have found my new home haha.

When are you going to buy/build the hardware?
If only at the end of the year, when you get home, it makes no sense to recommend parts at the moment. At the end of the year new and more powerful parts will be at the market.

When are you going to buy/build the hardware?
If only at the end of the year, when you get home, it makes no sense to recommend parts at the moment. At the end of the year new and more powerful parts will be at the market.

I am trying to monitor the parts until I get home and buy them as I go (trying to wait till they are on sale or have a combo deal ect). I don't forsee needing a much more powerful system then this for this next generation of games with the exception of the second card.

I am trying to monitor the parts until I get home and buy them as I go (trying to wait till they are on sale or have a combo deal ect). I don't forsee needing a much more powerful system then this for this next generation of games with the exception of the second card.

Personally I'd just wait until the end of the year anyway, A lot of interesting stuff is coming from ATI/AMD in the next few months of next year ;]

Didn't see someonehad already said something along the lines of this but yeah.. If you want my Email just send me a PM and when the time comes I'll happily help you out mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom