Multi-Purpose Build, Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panflet

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm new here, I would like this to serve as the centerpiece of my home studio. I'm interested in your thoughts/if this will work. Also curious about cheaper but comparably performing alternatives.

SYSTEM USAGE: CAD/3D Modelling w/ Rhino, 3Ds Max, Revit, V-Ray; Graphics & Animation w/ Adobe Creative Suite; Music Production & Recording w/ Pro Tools, Max MSP, SuperCollider, Fruity Loops; Basic Home Usage

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

CPU: (2x) Intel Xeon E5630 Westmere 2.53GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80614E5630

Heatsink: (2x) Intel BXSTS100A Active heat sink with fixed fan

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTi-F-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Extended ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series Server Motherboard

RAM: (2x) WINTEC 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Server Memory Model 3SR33590K-13

GPU: PNY VCQFX3800-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 3800 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Workstation Video Card

Boot Drive: Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/128GB 2.5" Desktop Bundle 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive I already own one, will move in from ext. enclosure

Case: LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 1010LT may hold off/ opt for better in the future and use my current ext one for now

Wireless Adapter: EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES

Optical: SAMSUNG 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 4X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24x DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - OEM

Wow.... I'd like to help, but, um..... I don't know dsiddly about xeons or dual chip setups.

You might want to up your RAM. While 6Gig is normally good, your intended apps seem RAM hungry.

Ah, thanks, patonb for your response. I really appreciate it, especially considering I've had a difficult time getting any feedback about this idea. I'm starting to think that the difference between a dual xeon build like this may not be noticeable in comparison to a single chip, possible overclocked build which would be cheaper(although I've no experience w/ overclocking)...

Any more thoughts from you/anyone else would be much appreciated

Dual xeons are rare outsuide major servers and work stations..

I'm wondering if the i7 980x ofr 960 would be sufficent, both true 6 core hyper threaded.

Small oc is easy with correct gear.

Is there any major reasoning behind a dual cpu set up for a recording cad box?

while yes cad and recording can be very processor demanding they aren't necessarily THAT demanding.

I mean run Mixcraft with 10 tracks effect and several vst's with a dual core and my old sempron and board ended up doing cad work for a friend so if your wanting to cut price I would suggest an i7 build like paton suggested

I think you'll do just as well with a single i7 920 instead of the dual 5630. And I think you'll also be better with a Fermi based video card but it's costs a lot more.

Thanks everybody for replies. I definitely feel I am clarifying my options a bit more at this point w/ your help. Plus the supermicro boards need to be put in supermicro cases , which I don't want.

I think it would be worth it to go the xeon route only if I drop down to two 5620 instead of 30s but spring for the new evga SR-2 mobo, which is designed for dual xeon overclocking...they could be OC'd to 3+ ghz apparently, and I would need to get like 1 of 3 compatible cases out there and a higher wattage psu. Although the savings from the cpu drop would definitely help in balancing out everything moneywise...plus the door would be open to dual xeon OCing which seems like the best of both worlds and many more GPU options...

If I were to do that I might just get it prebuilt from a company I found:
Xi Computer Corp. Computer - Desktop, Workstation, Server

If not, I'll just go w/ a straightforward i7 build I guess, that seems to be the consensus too. BTW, I've been using a netbook (which isn't that bad) for the bulk of my personal use for the last year and a half...haha! in case that explains my interest in getting a strong machine for cad and recording/production:wink_tongue:

What about getting yourself into a nice EVGA Sr-2 Motherboard:cool:, personally I think it has more potential. Your going to pay more for case/ mobo but I think it`s worth it. Plus with the motherboard you selected you don`t have alot of room for upgrades. With the Sr2 you could run sli or crossfire if you wanted to and run multiple gpu`s.

That build would be awesome but deffinetly not needed for those programs. I use all of those on my setup minus the recording stuff and I have no problems. This is on a dual core to boot.
As for a prebuilt I would build my own, you pay for what u get, not paying for someone to assemble it for u.

Hi all,

I'm new here, I would like this to serve as the centerpiece of my home studio. I'm interested in your thoughts/if this will work. Also curious about cheaper but comparably performing alternatives.

It's great to hear about your proposed build, PANFLET. I wanted to offer information about the features of Windows 7 Professional. Theres a test drive at Windows for Small and Midsize Business: Windows 7 Professional Test Drive and you can watch a video at Windows 7 Professional - Microsoft Showcase Videos. There's also a list of Windows 7 Pro features and case studies at Windows for Small Business: Home. Hope this helps. Andrea H. Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team @Win7ProSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom