Random game freezes for 2 years =) can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Italianblend

Solid State Member
Hello, and thanks for reading this. =) I am in no hurry and will appreciate any help. I have never built computers or anything like that, just so you know.

In 2007 I bought a nice HP computer, and some time later, in 2008 I had a friend replace the graphics card with a Nvidia GTX 9800. Mainly to play games, like WoW, Lorto, Star Trek Online, etc...

I am pleased with the graphics quality in games and have no complaints...but it seems this problem happened after the graphics card was installed.

however, for 2 years now, I have put up with random freezing. This mostly (98%) of the time, happens during games. The audio sometimes will hang on the last sound it was making, and everything just freezes. I can't hit the windows button to tab out, or move the mouse. I have to hold in the power button to restart.

I've done numerous google searches over the years to address this. Most people say it's a heat issue. I highly doubt that, because, when it is working fine, I can play 3D games for HOURS without a hitch. I have also noticed that it happens more often when my computer hasn't freshly booted. If I've been in sleep mode or the computer has been running for a while before I play games, it's much much more likely to freeze than if I do a fresh restart.

I am just looking for someone to walk me through a possible solution at your convenience. I have increased virtual memory, updated drivers, etc...to no avail.

Here are the specs:

Windows 7 32bit
3GB Ram
Core2Quad CPU 2.4 GHz

specifically, it's HP Pavilion Elite m9040n Desktop PC Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English) with the added Nvidia card.

Thanks for any help you can give. What other info do you need?

Download memtest86+, burn it to a CD (or DVD, or USB stick but that's a bit more complicated) and run it through at least one pass. This will test your memory to see if there's anything wrong with it.

You didn't mention running chkdsk; that's something to try too.

Thank you. I just ran chdsk and I"m not sure where the results are. Would it automatically warn me if there was a problem? There are lots of errors in event viewer though.

Which Version should I get?

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*
Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) *OBSOLETE*

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Are you going to use a cd, usb flash, or floppy? Use the Bootable ISO. Either zip or gz should be abled to un-package it. Don't burn the zip file to a CD.

Are you going to use a cd, usb flash, or floppy? Use the Bootable ISO. Either zip or gz should be abled to un-package it. Don't burn the zip file to a CD.

What MoM said above ^. I would go with the "zip" as windows can extract it without the need for any 3rd party software. Extract the ISO file, then use any burning software to burn the ISO to a CD. If you're not sure or familiar with burning ISO files, reply saying otherwise you know what to do :).

Sorry MoM, just thought I'd clear you response just in case he chose the gz and didn't know how to extract.

Type in memory into the start menu, and you should see the first option will say Memory Diagnostics Tool.

image%7B0%7D%5B1%5D.png

A dialog will pop up asking if you want to reboot and check for problems now, or check for problems the next time you restart.

image%7B0%7D.png

If you choose to restart now, Vista will reboot into the memory diagnostic utility:
image%7B0%7D%5B13%5D.png

reference: Test Your Computer's Memory Using Windows Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool - How-To Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom