So here's my first ever gaming build. Critique me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infusion

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I posted a thread before asking for a build, but didn't get any responses. I've put together my own and would like some information mainly on areas where I could cut back and save some money, feasibility of case and compatibility of components, and overall value as a gaming rig. Thanks in advance for all the assistance, I have learned a lot from just perusing the forums.

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Case + Processor Combo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
($224.98)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus III GENE LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro
Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus III GENE LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
($139.99)

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3F1600LV4GK

GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

RAM + GPU Combo Deal: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
($355.98)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
($54.99)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
($69.99)

DVD: Sony Optiarc Black
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
($19.99)

Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers
($179.99)

TOTAL BEFORE TAX: $1046.92

What do you guys think? Will everything fit in that case and keep cool without an independent cooler?

I should note that I already have Windows 7 Professional ready to install and I do not do much overclocking. THANKS EVERYONE.

I can't comment on pricing, but that's a good build you've got there :)

You're fine with the stock cooler (the one that comes with the CPU) unless you're overclocking, which you've said you aren't.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I think I might just pull the trigger on the parts tomorrow.

I just have a couple more things to ask of you guys:

1) Would it be worth it to teach myself how to overclock? Are there any risks (aka can I mess up any hardware). Will I notice much of a difference in gaming performance?

2) As I mentioned, I've never built a computer before. What are things I need to be careful of so I don't destroy anything? Can anyone point me to a good guide/video to assembling one?

3) Does anyone have experience with this particular case? I don't think it comes with any fans... should I be buying some?

Thanks everyone! Just a little nervous, don't want to screw anything up!

While yes overclocking can yield unwanted results it is mostly safe so long as you make the proper precautions.
It is definitely useful knowing how to OC and it can give you a major performance increase done right.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I think I might just pull the trigger on the parts tomorrow.

I just have a couple more things to ask of you guys:

1) Would it be worth it to teach myself how to overclock? Are there any risks (aka can I mess up any hardware). Will I notice much of a difference in gaming performance?

2) As I mentioned, I've never built a computer before. What are things I need to be careful of so I don't destroy anything? Can anyone point me to a good guide/video to assembling one?

3) Does anyone have experience with this particular case? I don't think it comes with any fans... should I be buying some?

Thanks everyone! Just a little nervous, don't want to screw anything up!

1. overclocking back in the day, was dangerous, but nowadays, its almost foolish not to overclock... its liek supercharging your car for free! if you take your time and listen to what people tell you, you wont hurt anything. you will notice a huge improvoment overclocking. i have every part in my comptuer that processes information overclocked ( ie, cpu, gpu and ram )

2. the biggest thing is if it seems like something doesnt fit, thats because it doesnt, dont force anything! building a comptuer really is easier then assembling a Walmart desk. things only go one way and if they dont fall into place it doesnt go that way. the hardest part about building a computer is installing the operating system, and if you can install a video game you can install an OS.

3. i dont have any first hand experience with this case but i have read and watched every review i can find about it and firmly believe it is the best bang for your buck case on the market! it comes with 3 fans, one on the side, one on the top and one in the back. it has great wire managment so use that to your advantage when you are routing your cables. the more cables you can hide the better the air will flow in the case and the cooler everything will run! the best way to route cables is do one at a time and figure out the most descreat path for each one... take your time. Do it right the First time and there wont be any headaches later on ;)

Remeber, if you are unsure about ANYTHING no matter how little or silly it may seem, ask here and we will help you. take your time, have fun and you will have a kick *** rig in no time ;)

and if you dont take pics when its done and post them i will be very unhappy :p

good luck bud!

Thanks again for all the help and support! I will most definitely post pictures and I won't hesitate to come back for additional assistance. You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom