Internet Explorer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
System is XPpro + SP2.

I have a very peculiar problem in IE6 and need advice.
I can run Explorer for such things as Windows updating and is OK for MSN browser and BTOpenworld.

But when I try to open from the Explorer icon, nothing happens.
checked and changed the default address in Internet Options/Internet Properties/Apply/OK, then immediately the address when Internet Options is re-opened, becomes nonsense, something like ???#?##S???#???#???# and, not surprisingly trying to run from the IE6 icon, it baulks. However after a re-boot I do get a proper default address, but it becomes nonsense upon activating the icon.

All other programs work perfectly!

Does anyone have a clue please?

Yes! The interesting thing is that on rebooting the correct the current address is loaded and It opens from the icon. If then you use this as the defaut address, then apply and OK, when you then return to the address it has been replaced with the nonsense address I have described. the "#" items are actually small squares which my e-mail cannot reproduce

I have done do by using the XPpro CD and Add/Remove / Add component and also from the CD itself.

So, Ultra Techie, what next? Why does the default address diappear on re-opening, to be replaced by gobblydegook? My problem would disappear if you can explain and rectify, perhaps in Registry.

Your problem is unusual. You're on the right track though. If you've re-created that icon and it's still futzing up, check out your registry. (You'll have to search www.microsoft.com for the correct reg key. I don't memorize them.)

My next question to you would be "What the hell did you do to this thing?" I haven't seen this yet (or at least can't remember seeing it before). What did you do?

???? S????????? This is what I get after re-opening
Internet options. And, of course, the Icon cannot open with this address. I need to know why, after inserting the correct address
the system insists on replacing it with is nonsense. I have asked Microsoft for their ideas, but I suspect it is some .dll that has become corrupted. I will "Search" for this nonsence to try to find
where it originates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom