Building a new computer, need some help picking hard-ware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC1990

Baseband Member
Alright, I'm trying to build a new computer for around 500 dollars or less.

I already have a 24inch AOC monitor I plan to use: Amazon.com: AOC 2436VW 24" Widescreen HD Monitor: Electronics

I have a Razer Naga mouse I plan to use: Amazon.com: Razer Naga MMOG Laser Gaming Mouse: Electronics

I have a apple keyboard I plan to use (same as this one but without the keypad): Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - Apple Store (U.S.)

I have a case from years and years ago, its a full size tower. However I can't find it online for you guys, if the case won't work I can simply buy a new one though.

The case has a floppy drive and a cd/dvd drive, so we shouldn't need to worry about those.

Now for the stuff that I need help with. I looked at all these products and I think their compatible but I'd just like verification and if any of them seem like a bad decision please let me know why so I can look for a better piece of hard-ware (your suggestions in hard-ware are of course welcomed, and appreciated, as well).

Motherboard (AMD AM3 socket, DDR3 1600 support, max 16gb 240pin ram, 3Gb/s max): Newegg.com - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU (AM3 socket, AMD 2.9ghz Quad Core): Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFGIBOX

RAM (2x 2gb 240pin DDR3 1600mhz): Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BL25664BN1608

Graphics Card (1gb DDR3 1600mhz on board memory, 400 stream processors, 670mhz core clock, DirectX11, ATI Chipset, Crossfire ready in case I want to): Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R557OC-1GI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard Drive (500 GB, 7200 RPM, 16mb cache, SATA 3Gb/s, 3.5"): Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply (680w): Newegg.com - Sunbeam PSU-H680-REV-US-BL 680W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies

for the ram, you listed it as 2x2gb so im assuming that you were planning to buy 2 of those 2gb sticks.

it would better if you just bought a 4gb kit all together like this one
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782
this set runs at the same 1600mhz with better cas7 timings, and would actually be cheaper.

also that psu is crap, i highly suggest you get one from a better brand like antec, corsair, seasonic, pc power & cooling, ocz, silverstone and some others that can be found in the power supply sticky thread.

what would you be using your pc for though? maybe we can help you find some better suited parts.

I'd be using it for games such as Starcraft II, Battlefield Bad Company II, stuff like that.

That RAM looks good.

New RAM: Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782

As for the power supply.
This one looks good but I'm not sure about the fans only starting after 60% load. However the 650W continuous output is nice: Newegg.com - hec ZEPHYR ZEPHYR650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified Active PFC Power Supply

This one also looks nice, only 620W but has a ball-bearing fan and 80plus bronze certified: Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Any idea which one would be a better choice or if I should keep looking?

if you want to game, i would defenitely spend the extra $5 on this card
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245DDR5L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
actually when you factor in the shipping cost of that card you had listed, this card here is actually cheaper yet it's more powerful.

the hec psu is not really any better than the one you listed before, the seasonic is good though.

you wouldn't need 600+ w to run that system though, the one is this combo is good and is also a little cheaper.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
in a combo with a different set of ram that is also good, and you save ever more from the discount.

That video card is awesome, I didn't even see it when I was looking. Thank you for posting it and that combo deal looks great so I'll do that. Anything else you can think of that I should change?

I've been looking at more graphics cards just because I really want to make sure I'm going to be able to run stuff on the highest quality and found this one: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Its 1Gigabyte of 256bit GDDR5 instead of 512Megabytes, and it has 800 stream processors just like the one posted earlier. Its clock speed is also 750 MHz compared to about 620 from what I've ready about the other one (they don't list it). I don't mind the extra cost, but I just want to make sure its actually a better card. Would you say go with this one over the other one? (not considering cost because the small difference doesn't bother me).

being able to play games on the highest quality setings? maybe, it depends on the game, but that 4870 is indeed better than the 4850.

if you can afford the extra cost, get it. it actually looks like a real good deal, it practically costs the same as the 4850 after the rebate it has (well not quite, i forgot how cheap that 4850 was).

forget that ram/psu combo i listed before, get this one then
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

plus that first set of ram i showed you
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782

you should save a little more money this way, and you can get $70 total back in rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom