Heard anything of the new ATI HD6xxx series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hi,
have any of you guys heard anything about the new ATi Radeon HD6xxx series of graphics cards? iam interesting in buying one when they come out :yum:.
Just post anything you know about these cards on this thread and i will be ever greatful (as i am with all the other replys i get :)) thanks guys.

Only that they're gonna be roughly the same chips and design as the HD5xxx series, with various improvements obviously.
They're waiting 'til 7xxxx to drop down to 32nm because TMSCs manufacturing is a fail.

Actually the HD7k will be on the 28nm as TMSC dropped 32nm.

As far as I know the HD6k aka Southern Islands, is going to be a combination of the HD5k and Northern Islands aka HD7k. And they will still use the 40nm.

The SIs will be due around Q4 of this year and the NIs are expected to be released around Q1 2011.

What's software got to do with new generations?

Anyway, SI is basically a GPU using the shader processors of Evergreen GPU's and the uncore architecture of the NI GPU's
The reason they exist is because TSMC are being slow to get their 28mn manufacturing process working; so they're making a hybrid on 40nm in the meantime.

But yeah, I think I would probably skip SI and see how NI does.

I have around $700 saved up for ATIs next gen chip. Whether I wait for NI or SI or whatever I don't know. After I see a benchmark from Tom's or PCPer or another moderately reputable source, then I'll most likely buy it. I was going to get a 5970 actually, then I decided to just stick with this 4870 for a while longer until the next gen chips come out.

Just bought a 5870 a few months ago so I'll probably skip on the HD6k series but the HD7k sounds like it might be a worthwhile upgrade when it does come out. 28nm manufacturing will let them squeeze a lot more onto the chip. Hopefully it will allow them to double the shader capacity yet again (4870 was 800, 5870 is 1600, it would be nice to see 3200)

Isn't that just too many changes in a short time.
Everyone rags on Nvidia rebadges, but honestly they get their software running great.

There is a big difference between releasing new architectures and renaming the same old parts over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom