pc lags during search

Status
Not open for further replies.

psydesign

In Runtime
hi guys.
i have a p4 2.4 256 ddr ram running xp home sp2 now when i do a search it is really slows and makes my whole pc lag same as games are really slow. its been like this ever since i bought it. now the only two things i could think it could be is either my motherboard or my hard drive. which do you guys think it could be?
thanks in advance

Put more ram in it. Game now day prefer to have at least 512Mb of ram.

BTW, what video card are you currently kicking?

i have a 64 mg onboard not sure of the name just off hand. thanks for your reply just one thing though my dads pc is a p3 500mhz celeron that also only has 256 ram and that does not play the games but it does not lag when you use the windows search where as mine really really lags thats why i think it must either be the motherboard or the hard drive but yeah what doo you think?

Check for spywar and virus's using spybot and ad-aware for spyware and try www.pc-cillin.com for a free virus tester. That'll clear up any issue regarding the HD. When was the last time you did a format or defrag? That also causes a lot of clutter and will slow down your hard drive. If all the above info is non-applicable then try uninstalling SP2 as I've read numerous people complaining that it just makes there system more unstable. Just a possibility

yeah but i have tried checking for spyware and viruses and i had this problem before i put on sp2. i bought the pc as a whole and did not build it myself so i think they maybe just put in a shitty motherboard :(

Check msconfig to see what items are in the Startup tab...
Start > Run > type msconfig

Before I run ad-aware, I usually disable all startup items from msconfig and reboot.

What kind of PC is it? Do you have any more detailed specs?

Win XP sucks up 256mb just to operate. You try doing any searches or gaming, and yer cranked.

With RAM selling for less than 50cents a MB, there's few reasons why a capable machine shouldn't have 512mb at least, today.

Go buy some more. If you already have 256, buy another 256mb module. If you need help, you can always ask here.

shot for the help guys got more ram bought another 256 plus got another 64 mb from a friend still no luck and i now have 576mb ram :( no real sketchy programs running in ms config. i can only think it is my mother board :( bugger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom