Need help choosing computer case

Status
Not open for further replies.

yutsi

Solid State Member
I have a fear of choosing the wrong case, and I need help choosing one for my gaming computer.
I have the following setup:

nVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 9500 GT 550MHz 128-bit DDR2 1GB PCI-Express pcie x16 Video Card VGA/DVI/D-Sub/S-video Output

WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm

Corsair Dominator 6 GB : 3 x 2 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )

Intel Desktop Board DX58SO Extreme Series - motherboard - ATX - iX58 - LGA1366 Socket

Open Box - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor

What would be the best computer case? And I don't really care what it looks like, I only care that it fits everything. It must have a power supply and fans.

The vast majority of power supplies that come with cases tend to be very low-quality; you're much safer buying them separately.
How much would you prefer to spend on this, and what is maximum you'd spend if you need to?

Keep in mind that you'll need a 450W power supply, minimum.

This is my first time building a gaming computer so I find this all very confusing. Where exactly in the computer does the power supply plug into? And I'm looking to spend at most $700.

From the wall plug, you have the power lead. This then leads into the back of the case - usually the top or the bottom of the back of the case - which is where the power supply is. Then, internally, on the other end of the power supply, you have at least ten or so cables (usually more), of at least four different types, which then plug in to the various components inside the case.
It depends on what case you have where the power supply fits - it will be either above or below where the motherboard fits.
Here is a picture of a system's internals. At the top of the inside is the power supply - you can see the cables coming out of it.
power-supply-in-case.jpg

Note that the manual that comes with each component will tell you what kind of power connector it needs plugged into it.

Alright so is this a good power supply for my system?
XION Supernova XON-800R14N 800W Power Supply

Not especially - with power supplies, it's best to buy from a respectable brand:
Antec
Corsair
Enermax
Seasonic
Silverstone
OCZ Technologies
PC Power and Cooling
Fortron

These are all good brands at reasonable prices. I suggest you try to buy one of these.

I can suggest a specific one, if you like.

If you are going to use this for gaming, do yourself a favor and get a better graphics card, you won't regret it in the long run.

As far as the initial question about cases goes, An important factor is space, if floorspace is not an issue, get a Full tower, as there will be much better airflow, and more room for cable management (Also leads to better airflow) and more upgrade potential (relative to size). If size is an issue, it will fit in a mid tower just fine, however be prepared to deal with more heat and tougher cable management (The trade-off being a smaller footprint, IE: I can't fit a full tower in my college dorm room lol).

As far as towers go, some popular choices around here are (In No Order)
Antec 1200
Antec 900(or 902) (Mid)
Antec 300 (If on a tight budget, otherwise go 900) (Mid)
Cooler Master HAF 932 (Full)
Cooler Master 690 (Mid)
Just about any Thermaltake case

I am sure I am missing a bunch, An important factor in choosing a case though is what you want to go with, while there are some "Bad" cases out there, a great many of the cases out there will work just fine and it really depends on what YOU want to go with, as many can be moded to fix their shortcomings.

If I remember right, the Antec cases have the PSU mount on the bottom of the case (Many people like this, some people don't)

FoxMcCarther, what would you suggest as a graphics card that's under $200 and fits in a PCI-Express x16?

I do not have a recommendation for you, in the sense you should rush out right after I throw it out, please give others a chance to correct me if I am wrong as this is not an area I am very good with. Mostly because I have to many strange biases (mostly always favoring nVidia) when it comes to GFX Cards, that usually will enable me to have the awesome power to remove features or change stats lol. I can tell you however the the 9000 series by Nvidia is not the best for gaming. A broad category that would be safe to look in is the nVidia GTX series and the Radeon 4xxx and 5xxx series.

I want to say however (Take with a grain of salt) if you like nVidia the GTX460 would be a rather safe bet for your price range. Here is some information on it.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX-460 768MB Video Card | NVIDIA,GeForce GTX-460,Review,Fermi,GF104,768MB,Video Card,NVIDIA GeForce GTX-460 768MB Video Card GF104 Fermi GPU Graphics Frame Rate Performance Benchmark Review

If you don't like the GTX460, the Comparable priced HD 5830 also performs similarly to the GTX 460 (Both "High End Mid-Grade" cards They do have good bang for the buck though).

Though, I am sure somebody else will come in and give you a better recommendation ^_^, Loaded with more fun and juicy facts.

I will say though, if you do end up getting the 460, do yourself a favor and get the 1024mb ovre the 768mb, you won't regreat the extra $30 investment or w/e it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom