Anyone have a wd elements drive newst model

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
hi i just got my 2tb elements WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN in today and im having this little issue but dont know if its a real issue the activity light in the back after activity goes solid then after awhile goes to a slow like blinking in 4 sec intervals i was wondering if this is a standby thing or what please someone with info let me know

I'd say it's def a standby thing. Most external drives have a spin-down time, kinda an energy saver if it detects the drive hasn't been accessed in a certain period of time.

You can stop the drives spinning down if you want, in your power management settings.

I own the exact model, and it's a standby. If you leave it plugged in, it just goes into power saver mode. You can tell because when you try to access it from windows, it takes a few seconds to get spinning again.

thanks all for the replies and letting me know its funny how i got the right answers here but i contacted wd support and there just telling me its the activity light that its normal to be doing that when connected to a pc

i replied back that 1. its not connected to a computer i have it connected to a media streamer and 2. an activity light does not blink a steady pace in intervals an an activity light blinks rapid and randomly not once every 4 sec

so thanks again for confirming my suspicions

well to me it might run with computer parts or what not and technically is a computer of sorts but its not what they were referring to its not running an operating system its a stand alone unit

its the popcorn hour if anyone knows it

...it doesn't matter though. It's plugged into a device that reads it. It'll still go in standby mode.

no i know but im saying..if was say connected to a windows pc theres more variables there if wd is thinking its connected to a pc theres more possible things that could be accessing the drive and causing it to spin up which is what they thought was happening

hi i just got my 2tb elements WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN in today and im having this little issue but dont know if its a real issue the activity light in the back after activity goes solid then after awhile goes to a slow like blinking in 4 sec intervals i was wondering if this is a standby thing or what please someone with info let me know

This was your original question. The blinking light in 4 second intervals is when it's in standby mode. Mine's doing it as we speak. Doesn't matter if it's plugged into a windows based computer or a standalone unit.

I'm not sure what else you're trying to find out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom