What's a good type of Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupDoGG

Baseband Member
Might be getting a new Desktop soon, wanna know what a good one is, just overall, nothing too expensive. Just a normal computer with Windows 7, that I can play StarCraft II and stuff on lol

Like, should I be looking at a Dell? or HP? not really sure what to use, I've mainly used the same comptuer my whole life so.. :)

Thanks

3 letters.

DIY

Paying for an oem off the shelf costs more and you wont have as much control over what goes into it.

Now building is easy and cheaper and you get up to twice as much bang for your buck.

Yup just as the others said its easy to build (i just built my first one with help from the people in this forum). And what youd pay for a prebuilt gaming pc even a low end one will cost much more then to build the same setup youreself. So yous hould follow the advice of the others and build your own. And its always fun to say i built my computer vs saying i got this from (insert mass produced pc name here).

Yeah I think I might build it, I'm looking into that stuff now, not really sure where to start though, the main thing I'm wondering is...

AMD or Intel?

I'm looking at mother boards, and it seems that 1 motherboard will only support either Intel or AMD, so I'm thinking I should figure that out first :p

We can help you pick parts, or just pick all of them for you. All we need is a budget.

That's the thing lol, my dad would be buying this (lol) so he'd be the one paying. When I talked about it with him he said "it might be a good idea" or "it sounds good" or something of that sort, but he also said "their not always cheaper so we'll have to see" so I'm trying to get something good for cheap, because I'm not really sure how much he'd be willing to pay, I'm looking on newegg and trying to look at stuff but not sure, it's adding up pretty fast lol, my bro(who's pretty good with computers) said I'd get a decent one for about $1,000 unless your gonna get a low end one(like the one I'm on now)

so basically I don't know the budget >.< but like I said, I wanna be able to atleast play StarCraft II on it and all, and just have it fairly fast :) I figured I'd just do my research and show him what I had and then see what he said lol :p

again thanks for the help, I know this isn't much to go off of :p

Well, Starcraft II is a very scalable game, even low-end systems can play it well, on low settings of course. But, $1000 is a good budget to go on.

Alright, Idk if he'll pay that much but maybe if I tell him that's what my brother told me he'll do it, he listens to him when it comes to computers lol

so i guess around $1000 for now, might have to end up downgrading some stuff if it's too much though lol :p

Well here is a decent build for around that price range:

-CPU-AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX
-Mobo-ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
-Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
-GPU-XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
-PSU-COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
-Case-COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Hard Drive-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-DVD Drive-LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 12X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Now this all with shipping comes too $1052 USD. so is slightly more then your estimated budget but only slightly. But if it has to be under you can save about $80-100 if you get the XFX 5850 GPU. And from what everyone has said about it (i cant say for myself i got the 5870) it is the best performance for the price. now the others from this site may have better builds due to they have more experience then me but just trying to lend a hand. But good luck with it and if you build one be sure to post pictures of when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom