Sony or Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hardware question? We knew going into this that the Sony was more powerful on paper.
But for $200 less, you are getting nicer human interfaces, longer battery life and better reliability (in the most recent survey I have seen, IIRC Apple came 2nd after ASUS whereas Sony came second last, only beating Acer).

If you want a lot more power then get a desktop (something I would recommend anyway).

I have never been a big fan of Apple (Company overall), but talking like that around here may end up getting me shot. I would say go with windows, as you will enjoy the extra power, and at least with me, there are plugs everywhere in my university in the classrooms, so battery is not really a factor for me. Also, I enjoy the windows Interface better TBH.

Really, what you are getting with the mac is a bit more 'polish' on the user end of the mac (for lack of a better word), where as with the windows, it is well, not as polished, however It really is preference. With either system, you are getting more or less the same information, just presented differently with different methods of accessing it.

Obviously I am a bit biased towards windows (I don't own anything apple), however I would choose the better performance over the shiny interface.

Also, I would really recommend a good desktop, especially if you are getting into anything where rendering or 3d would be involved, perhaps use a cheaper laptop for notes and your desktop as your workstation (that's what I do at least).

Apple makes very nice laptops and the operating system is more optimized for the computers Apple sells so Apple computers don't need to be blazing fast.

If you go with the Apple you will be getting a higher quality Laptop then with the Sony laptop however if you get the Sony you will be getting a bit better performance.

It would also be a good Idea to see what programs you may need to run for school. If any of them are Apple only then having a Mac would be a lot more convenient. Remember you can install both Mac OS X and Windows on a MacBook, while on a Sony laptop you are stuck to only being able to run windows.

Also, I would really recommend a good desktop, especially if you are getting into anything where rendering or 3d would be involved, perhaps use a cheaper laptop for notes and your desktop as your workstation (that's what I do at least).

I agree with this. I built my desktop and it saves me tons of time because I can render 3d and video editing at home rather than relying on the school computers, which are almost always in use, especially during finals and midterms. Plus I can let projects run overnight.

I use my laptop for basic stuff for in-class (or transfer data via dropbox or flashdrive) and render almost exclusively at home.

I have nothing against the Mac OS and I won't claim one is superior over the other, because quite honestly, they are basically the same, it's just how it's packaged. It's the company I have a problem with because of their overpricing. I just don't see why the Apple is preferable just because it's sleeker and has a long battery life when it can't match the performance.

I have used both Mac and PC computers (and Linux) for years now, and trouble-shooted all 3 with little difficulty. (I own a Win7 desktop and put Ubuntu on my laptop). So I can't call myself a fangirl of any one of them. They all do what they are supposed to and that's that.

Apple makes very nice laptops and the operating system is more optimized for the computers Apple sells so Apple computers don't need to be blazing fast.

If you go with the Apple you will be getting a higher quality Laptop then with the Sony laptop however if you get the Sony you will be getting a bit better performance..

I'm sorry, but I've never understood this reasoning. How exactly is an Apple laptop higher quality? I have seen plenty of Macbook pros vs Toshiba or Sony or Lenovo or any other pre-made laptop you can think of and have seen little difference between them. Parts are still parts. (please don't take that offensively, I'm actually quite interested in hearing this without causing a fight)

The majority of the internals are the same as other laptops, indeed - an Intel i3 is of the same quality in any laptop, for example.

But generally the screen on the Apple products is better - if far too glossy for my tastes - and the aluminium casing is a lot stronger and more durable than the plastic which the majority of laptops are made of (though at this price range, carbon fibre becomes more common than plastic).

And generally, the internals are well-laid out in design terms, compared to the laptops of some other companies (though I have little experience - there are likely companies with better internal design).

Now, I'm not a fan of Apple by any means - I own no Apple hardware, nor would I buy any (free is another question :p). But when their products can be run over by a bus, and still work, I'm certainly impressed by the quality:
applemacbookair.jpg

Well that answers that for me at least....

Still gonna stick with my earlier opinion about them being too pricy for me to care, but DAAAAAAANG that laptop's been through heck. Poor thing, I want to lay it to rest...

If that happened to my computer, no matter what build (heck it could be running Win 95) I'd cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom