toshiba satellite laptop password removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
i am fixing toshiba satellite laptop for a friend of mine; i dont know the specs, model number, or anything. when he bought it from a friend of his, the thing came with a password. after turning it on, the Toshiba logo appears and goes straight to asking for the password. when he told me about this problem, i thought is was an xp password, however, upon turning it on i found this out. im guessing that the password was created with the motherboard. Any help with getting this password off? if i have to take it apart, do you have any knowledge of taking one apart or a guide book. thx

Take out the CMOS battery for a couple minutes, replace it and that should reset the BIOS to defaults, including the BIOS password.

Yes I beleive that's the BIOS password it's asking from the motherboard. Take out the CMOS battery and also the main battery pack. Wait 15 minutes and put them back in. The cmos battery may require you to dissassemble parts of your laptop. it's a circular button battery about an inch in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. If you can find the switch to clear the cmos than use that also. I have no idea where that would be on a laptop.

taken from
http://www.officelock.com/Laptop-Security.htm

How to Crack Laptop Password Protection

To protect their data, users often rely upon a password: without typing it in, the laptop will not run. What most people do not know is that this kind of "protection" represents no more than a momentary obstacle; it is similar to the flimsy locks found on suitcases. A thief interested in the data on the laptop he has stolen can gain unrestricted access using an ordinary screwdriver within five minutes.

A laptop's password is usually stored on a chip known as the BIOS. The protection is therefore only in force on that particular PC. To access the data, the thief simply removes the hard disk drive and installs it into another PC. To access the data without removing the hard drive, the thief needs to "zero out" the password setting - essentially tricking the laptop into believing that it is a new, unused machine. Upon powering on, the PC will subsequently no longer request a password because it believes that none has ever been set. Resetting the password can therefore be accomplished by resetting the instructions in the BIOS. While methods vary from PC to PC, the most common approaches are:

Removing, then replacing the lithium battery from the motherboard;

Setting the motherboard's internal reset jumper for clearing all BIOS presets; and

"Flashing" the BIOS with new programming.

Instructions are fully documented by every PC manufacturer and provided freely to service technicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom