Can i use my old HDD on my new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlosdzv

Baseband Member
hi everybody , i just ordered all the parts for my new build, i was wondering if i could still use my old HDD on the new build with out having to back up anything or formatting. i have too much stuff to be reinstalling it again :( is there some Program that could help me transfer my drive ? how about the windows 7 cd? could that help?

Though if the old hard drive is IDE, it might not be usable with the new motheboard unless it has an IDE port - which are becoming less and less common on new motherboards (and have been for a couple years at least).

However, it's very likely you'll need to reinstall your OS; I've put together six or so builds for people, and only once was I able to use the old OS without any problems (and even then, it was a great surprise). This is because the old OS still has all the old drivers and such, and it has a hardware profile of all the old hardware. As soon as that hardware changes (depends on how different this new computer is), it'll look at the new hardware and go "wuh, what is this?!"

It is an Os drive. Windows 7 ultimate 64 BIT .... and its a sata not an Ide. :( i DONT WANT TO FORMAT!! :( i think i read somewhere that you could transfer it with some program, thats all i neeed , anyone knows?

It is an Os drive. Windows 7 ultimate 64 BIT

So the drive already has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it?

Before you removed the drive from your old system you need to start the old PC up and un-install all the main system drivers so that only the original Microsoft Drivers are installed. Then remove the drive and install it in your new PC. If your lucky Windows will boot-up and start finding new devices. If not you'll have to re-install Windows 7 from the DVD. If you have an upgrade version of Windows 7 you can run the upgrade and your programs should still remain.

The most important thing you should do is to make a Back-up of any important documents or files you want to keep in case the worst happens.

if you install a new windows 7 os over and old one without repartitioning and formatting the drive, it will move all your old files to a folder called windows old. Ive done this many times with no problems at all. your files will be there but you'll have to reinstall everything.

I cant believe it!! i used to do that with one win 7 cd i had ,, but i always though it was because my friend had installed a patch or crack so i could keep my files. i will do that instead. THANKS A LOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom