Are there any FULL time sub-contractors out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I've always thought my dream job would be to travel around and do tech contract jobs for outsourcing companies, such as the ones you see on Craigslist and such. I think it would be great if it was possible to turn this into something full time.

Is this even feasible, do people actually do this as a full time job or is it too hard to find that much work?

I don't mind driving at all, I can drive 10 hours non-stop like nothing and I am used to being away from home alot. Odd working hours, weekends and holidays don't bother me either.

Are there any other websites besides Craigslist that I should look into for jobs like this? I've done a few contract jobs that I've found through Craigslist, but only like 3 over the course of 4 years.

Any input is appreciated.

I'm not a coder so I'm not even interested in that.

I'm talking more along the lines of network/desktop upgrades/installation, Cat 5e wiring, networking, servers, etc.

Its a very tough industry to crack. First, you are completing against the bottom feeders that are on craigslist, second you will be new competing against companies/people that are well established and connected, and honestly the rates are going down.

I did it when I moved to Vegas in 2004 and did extremely well, I ended up selling my customer base when I moved back to CNY last year. The thing that helped me was I joined a site called computerrepair.com (now onforce.com) when it was still new and built a lot of contacts. At one point I was running 11 CompUSA calls a day 6 days a week @ at minimum $55 per. I made some money and then I got hooked up with Compucom and was running calls for their banks out in S. Nevada and again made more money than I dreamed of. BUT that was before they started realizing that some techs are willing to accept $25 per hour as opposed to my $65 per hour. The industry is bottoming out IMO, and as a start up if you are going for residential calls you are competing against geeksquad, etc who have lots of money for marketing

But if you are serious check out the following:

onforce.com
fieldnation.com

also check out a site called "theforcefield"--not sure if its a net or com. They have a page dedicated to this type of stuff

Good luck--I am back in the regular work force(hours are better and less stress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom