Fiber Optics transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock05

Beta member
So pretty much i have a shed with a computer in it, and i have a fiber optics cable running from my house to my shed, and i just want to give it internet access, and was told i need a fiber optics transmitter but when i try to search them online there seems to be a variety of types that are for video/audio/data and multiple channels and such and such.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a basic transmitter i could get just to run cable internet through what type i would need?

I have never seen nor heard of a fiber optic home network. The only thing even close I have ever seen was a professional studio with a big Mackie 24-channel mixer that had fiber optic output going to a computer.

If I were you I'd just run a cat5 cable. Fiber optic is sort of unnecessary for a home network unless you're doing some extremely low latency stuff. And by that I mean 0.005ms or lower, which would only be useful for pro audio.

Maybe someone will come along in the Tech Forums and point you in the right direction, because I'm not the king of networking knowledge.

It's most likely easier, and I know for a fact that it's MUCH less expensive just to use Cat5. Not to mention it's quite likely that it's unnecessary to use the fiber optic cable. If you were using it for Pro Audio I'm sure you'd already know about how to connect the two together ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom