ASUS Rampage III Extreme vs. MSI Big Bang-XPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
big bang xpower really needs alot of cooling then doesnt it

No, i don't think the mobo itself will need extra cooling. But at stock speeds all of those boards are going to run about the same. The difference between them will become apparent when you start overclocking them (if your not overclocking then you can look at some cheaper priced boards). If you are planning on overclocking then your going to be limited by the Heat the "CPU" generates. Air-Cooling the cpu with a good heatsink will get you in the 4 GHz range and all of those mobo's will handle that with no problems. If however you decide to Water-Cool your CPU with a good "Custom" setup (not a cheap Corsair H50 or anything simular) then the motherboard could be the limiting factor in going even higher.

The Prolimatech Megahalems is a very good heatsink. Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3) - FrozenCPU.com

The TRUE Copper is my favorite but it's Expensive and it needs to be Lapped http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/heatsink-lapping-guide-226442/

Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink - Socket LGA 775 / 1366 / 1156 / AM2 / Xeon - FrozenCPU.com

The regular version of the TRUE is also a very good heat sink, I actually have a few "Pre-Lapped" TRUE's for sale. http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-3-thermalright-ultra-extreme-120-true-232239/

If you buy any of the heat sinks I've listed above you'll need to buy at least (1) 120mm fan to go with it. For the best performance you'll want to buy (2) 120mm fans for a Push-Pull setup :thumbsup:

The Noctua NH-U12P is also a very good heat sink, it cools almost as well as the NH-D14 and it comes with (2) fans. Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Heat Sink With 2 Noctua Fans - Socket AM2/AM3/775/1366/1156 - FrozenCPU.com

well thank you for the help! and have you ever heard of someones motherboard breaking and or cracking from the weight of such a huge heatsink such as the d14? thats why i was leaning towards the h50 and that it doesnt take up so much room in the case, im a little curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom