I Need help building a budgeted gaming system (amateur)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonboba

Beta member
Hello - I created this thread because I need guidance on building a gaming desktop. I don't have much experience with this - the only thing I know is about what the components actually do.

My goal is to make a great GAMING PC for myself for about 600-800$ - I want to try to not go over 700 but i also want to get the most out of my money. I am using websites such as google, newegg( especially the reviews!). I won't get state of the art technology with that budget, but I still want it to last a good number of years with the latest games. I live in and will be buying from the USA.

Keep in mind that since i have never built a computer so I'm not really sure too what I'm doing. I figured that I would order all the parts and then just try to put it together.

So far, the parts that I think I need are:

Processor
Motherboard
Video Card
RAM
Monitor
Computer Case
Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner

I have done a little researched on the processors and I would prefer to have an intel over amd.

I have narrow it down to two processors but not sure which one is better and more worth the money. please help.

1. Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115215 )

2. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115037 )

And the following items I chose out of best ratings and mostly positive reviews. Please give me your honest opinion.

Motherboard - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131232 )

Video Card - ASUS EN9500GT/DI/1GD2/V2/A GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121339 )

Ram or Memory - I was not really sure if this was the best one. Any better memory or about the same price I can use?
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231098 )

Monitor- I currently have a Vizio 32', hopefully I can use that as a monitor. If you know any good deals. Please help me out! Greatly appreciated

Computer Case (Chassis) - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129066 )

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136218 )

CD/DVD Burner - ASUS black 24X DVD ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135204

I probably would not be overclocking (OC) it just simply because I don't know how or even know what that means =/

I'm not too concern about keyboard and mouse but if you know tips, please post.

Let me know if I left out anything. I really appreciate the help. Thanks a lot for posting!

I'm not sure why you're against the AMD processors, especially if you are building a budget PC. You can get similar performance out of a cheaper AMD processor (which in the long run will probably save you a pretty penny, which can be invested in better parts) For example, you listed the i5 Lynnfield, which is $194.99 on newegg for a 2.66 GHz quad, where you can get a Phenom II 955 quad core AMD processor at 3.2 GHz for $159.99. Still, it's your choice.

ATI cards are also cheaper than Nvidia cards, you might want to keep that in mind if you are looking for the best performance for your money.

When you look at the motherboard (which you should get based on which processor you decide on) you need to look to see if it supports DDR2 or DDR3 RAM, and what type. If you get the wrong type it won't work with your system.

Also, you're going to need a power supply, unless the version of the 300 you are getting comes with one.

also, if this is your first build and you have no experience, I suggest watching some tutorial videos or reading up on building a computer. It's not terribly hard, but it's easy to screw up if you are trying to do things without instruction.

I would go more than 2GB Ram as well. Not sure which as I am new also, but 2GB is not really anything anymore especially for a gaming PC.
There are really good stickies under this general topic (building, buying, upgrading for general PC's) which help you prioritize for a gaming PC when on a budget.
good luck man, im in the same boat at the moment

KOJI- you are right. I just recently got some times and look into it today. I'm gonna read up on how to build a pc. I prefer intel over amd because how reliable it has been for me for the past 10 years lol. I knew many people how had amd and there were some problems.

Matt- yeah, i would do more then 2gb ram. The list I came up with was out of best ratings, i didn't check for compatability or anything which is a dumb thing to do. I was in a hurry to make a post.

Thanks everyone for posting and I willl forward to hearing more from everyone.

Q:
you sure you don't need an operating system?
you should decide on if you are willing to use TV as monitor or not, monitor is a big budget item.

Comments:
Same problems could show up with Intel solution, no 100% sure thing here.

No problem! I understand the preferring brand by experience thing. It's the same for me as far as NVidia cards go (I prefer them) but I like the price cut on AMD processors, and I've run 3 different computers (a laptop and 2 desktops, one of which I'm currently using) with AMD and been fine. But like I said, that's a big preference for the user. My current platform is the processor I listed before, the 3.4 GHz Phenom II, and I'm loving the speeds.

At the same time, I've test-drived the i7 processors, and actually should be receiving an unlocked one from a contest I won, so I'll get to test out the two side by side (which will be fun, overclocking testing, yay!)

Anyways, I've run i7s before with no problem, nice powerhouse processors.

If you want to double check compatibility, look at the specs on the motherboard you are getting and see under the RAM area what types it takes. You can also look under the "other customers bought" section, as it will USUALLY be compatible (from people buying builds). Even if you don't buy from Newegg, it can give you a basis of what you are looking for.

The other thing you can do is go to a website like ibuypower.com and go through a pre-built, then take a look at what parts you used and do a shopping search of them (since the website will only give you a list of compatible parts to put <i>in</i> the computer.) This will let you know what kind of parts to look for.

TomsHardware is another good place to look for performance ratings and item descriptions.

Come back with your final build, would be cool to see what you come up with.

Please see if this is a good SET-UP.. I'm open for opinion

CPU – $209.99
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Motherboard –$119.99
Customer Reviews Of GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card – $109.99 (plus shipping $7 )
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Power Supply – $89.99 ($20 mail in rebate - $69.99) Shipping $3.99
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

RAM (memory)- $ 97.99 Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Harddrive - $74.99 (promo code EMCYWYP32 $20.00 off )
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD Optical Drive – $18.99
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Computer Case (Chassis) – $69.99 (shipping $9.99)
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Monitor – 32” Vizio TV 720p with RGB and HDMI input

Total = $812.90 cents
-$20 promo code
-$20 mail-in-rebate
-------------------------
$772.90 cents

About wireless, I need Ethernet cable and a router? I cant get like an internal wireless adapter for it to work? Cuz its cheaper that way.

I have reconsider, I will be going with the AMD Phenom X4 965 or 955 BLACK EDITION... what is a good MOBO, RAM, and Video Card to use.. and i'm thinking about getting a CORAIR cpu cooler to fit in my ANTEC case??? ANY SUGGESTION?? I'm in need of a PC LOL

If you're gonna go for the Phenom you'll want a board that supports that socket. Both of the ones you listed are the Socket AM3. (They come with a default CPU cooler, but if you wanna buy a better one you can. It's never a bad idea to cool your system down. But really you can use the default without a problem with that case. Especially if you won't be OCing or doing really intense gaming. Make sure you get thermal compound as well if you get a new CPU cooler.)

This is one of the suggested board from newegg to use with those processors, and it looks fine to me. Asus is a good company too.
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

The vid card you mentioned looks just fine, same with the power supply.

Good case too, I'm using its big brother (the 1200) right now. Well-laid out with good airflow and bottom-mounted power supply is always a plus in my book. (It also has washable air filters so you'll have less to worry about as far as dust goes if you keep them clean!)

RAM you chose will work with the motherboard I listed without a problem.

DVD drive is a DVD drive, you're fine.

If you still wanted to stay with the Intel system, what you have listed will work just fine though the requirements are on the low side for harder gaming.

32" monitor makes me drool (I have a 24")

Internet will depend on your ISP, some provide routers with their modems, if yours does not you will need a router to make the internet wireless. If you wanna do wired you just need an ethernet cord and just run it between your desktop and the modem (will limit your net to one person though.)

If you want internal wireless, you can get a wireless card to put in a slot inside your computer, or you can buy an adapter (I have an adapter in mine, works great and only cost me $20) The adapter just plugs into a USB port.

Here are some cards and adapters for you to look at: Newegg.com - Networking,Wireless Networking,Wireless Adapters,Top Sellers

I think I covered everything...hope I helped.

EDIT: Almost forgot! The Harddrive you listed is a BARE DRIVE which means that it's just the harddrive in some bubblewrap when you get it, no box or manual. You will need to buy a SATA cord to use it.

Also, don't forget your OS. I suggest Win 7 (anything higher than Home Edition, if you ever plan on upgrading your specs).

Okay! I am going with the AMD PHENOM II X4 965 Black Edition.
I need a motherboard that will last and is good for playing starcraft 2. If the motherboard has a onboard video card HD 4290.. do I need to get another video card to play Starcraft 2 and use it?

Here are the list I came up with. (cannot decide)

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom