immediate problems w/ the new rig =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanforce

Solid State Member
It has been about 6 years since I last had the joy of building a computer. So, I recently decided it was time for another go. After such a flawless first build experience, what could possibly go wrong?

All of the parts came in this afternoon... http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4198/partst.jpg

Processor: Pentium Core i7-940
Cooling: Cooler Master V10 (dreams of OC'ing)
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
Ram: 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 460
HD: Western Digital 1TB
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Case: Cooler Master CM-690
Power Supply: Cooler master GX750W

Should be a fun time right? Well... hopefully I can get back to that mindset. The hardware build was kind of tough because of this large fan unit. After a couple of hours, I finally got to hit the power button. The fans and system LED's immediately came to life, but the monitor remained blank. After trying all of the trouble shooting techniques that I could think of (including a complete rebuild) I am still getting the same LED's and the same blank screen.

The Phase LED's (CPU Loading) and NB Phase LED's (North Bridge Loading?) are illuminated. The following two pictures indicate the placement of these, as I could not get a good picture of the LED's.

Phase LED's: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6528/phaselights.jpg
NB Phase LED's: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3554/nblights.jpg

So, after all of that, I guess my question is: Does anyone have ANY idea how to handle a situation like this? I would really like to turn this expensive brick into a working machine.

well... first of all you didnt list a graphics card... ?

and secondly... the i7 940 uses triple channle ram, you have a dual channle kit... you have four 2 gig sticks of ram correct? try unplugging one and spacing them out every other dim slot starting with the second one away from the processor.

haha, yea that could be the problem. Luckily, I do have a one those as well. I'll edit it into the OP

I did not know that, I'll try to space the ram out. Only problem is this large fan, I guess it's time to take it a part again =/

Question: Should I only put in three sticks of ram (6gb) in order to get equal spacing?

hmm.. should talked with us before you build this computer.. but whats done is done!

did you try taking out a stick of ram and spacing them out?

What advice would you have given me about the hardware?

I'm reinstalling the components right now, i'll let ya know in a few

same 10 lights and the fans, and nothing else =(

Update: I think i just got it...

I took everything apart, and tried just 1 stick of ram, cpu, and graphics... and I got a screen! Then, it worked with all of my ram. So now, I am going to try it all together. (Crosses fingers)

What advice would you have given me about the hardware?

well for one, pretty much anyone here would've told you to ditch the i7 940 and get a 920 or 930 instead, they both cost like half as much. the fact that the 940 is just clocked higher at stock really doesn't make it worth the extra few hundred bucks considering that you're planning on OCing your cpu anyway.

also like Sean had mentioned, to get a tri channel kit of ram since the i7 has a tri channel memory controller.

also the cooler, the v10 just costs too much for its performance, there are better coolers for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom