does i7-930 only need a cpu cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theVoidOne

Solid State Member
so im building a computer and im using i7-930 as my cpu. do i really need to buy a better cpu cooler or can i just use the stock cooler? whats ur recommendation? im not going to overclock. whats a good temp anyway? for example, for my laptop, idle is 50C while loaded is 70-80C, it that good enough?

The stock cooler works well enough for a stock or slightly overclocked system. To reduce the heat output of the CPU you can lower the voltage using your motherboard. I did this so that my system would run well on the stock cooler, got it down to around 70C full load after lowering the voltages. At the default voltages it will work but may get hotter than I would like. The chip shouldn't have problems at 80C but I don't like it getting that hot. I was then able to get it running up to 3.1-3.2GHz overclocked without breaking 75-76 full load.

I ended up getting a Corsair H50 water-cooler to overclock with but I run my PC full load 24/7 with Folding@Home and I didn't want it running hot 24/7. With the H50 I can get 4.1GHz with 67-68 full load temperatures. I would just use the stock heatsink and if you decide that you want to overclock or lower temps you can upgrade later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom