How do I increase air flow in my PC tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Core2headedduo

Solid State Member
Whats been hacking me off for ages is the air flow in my PC. I thought the general idea of pulling cool air in the front and then forcing it out the back would work.
Any idea's anyone?:crazy:

I have a CiT gaming case, no model no. though.:thumbsup:

Heat rises. The best design is to pull cool air in from a low point on the case and push the hot air out a high point. You also want to pull cool air in where there is a lot of cool air. The best design is front fans to pull cool air in and back fans to push hot air out. If you can, a top fan will also remove hot air well. For more intake a side mounted fan works well. I do not recommend pulling cool air in from the back of the case because it is usually against a desk or wall and the air supply is limited.

In general you should pull cool air in from the bottom of the front panel and push hot air out the top of the back.

The case i have does that aready but I find its not very good and also my pc is placed where it has alot of room round it so I think its just useless at it.

Are you sure the fans are running at full speed? You can first try using SpeedFan to increase the fan speed (supported on some boards but not others) and if that doesn't work you can make the fans run full speed by plugging them directly into the power supply (might need adapters for this but the motherboard ports sometimes lower the voltage to make the fans quiet).

If that doesn't help you can always get better fans. I would recommend 120mm fans if your case allows for them but some older systems only used 80mm or 90mm fans which move less air. You can buy higher CFM (cubic foot per minute, a measure of air flow) fans that are the same size as your current ones.

I found this really good thread about case fans. It is from another forum so im not going to post bcuz im not sure if its ok to do so. However the jest of the article shows just how we think is wrong. They ran multiple tests and the consensus was that back and top fan alone was the best set-up. It removed the heat buildup the quickest and kept the CPU and case the coolest after the system had warmed up. I know, we all think more fans the better but the proof was in the numbers.
Of course the tangibles would be the case and how its vented. But its just some more info, can't hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom