New expensive video card didn't change much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be willing to bet that your processor is overheating, the power supply is bad, or some of the CAPs on the motherboard are bulging.

How often do you clean the dust out? That power supply LOOKS nice on paper, but I have had nothing but trouble with ULTRA PSUs. That might be a problem. The last 3 ULTRA PSUs I had fried.

The problem is NOT the video card if you have had so many different cards and they are all acting like this.

You went from a 9800 to a 5870 and then had issues? I betcha it's that PSU.

You'll know when you get that GTX 480 cause it's going to suck power like a leech.

I didn't know that the power supply could be a problem, that could explain the click that i hear when it shuts down during a game.

I actually clean the dust out pretty often, and the case I'm using circulates a ton of air.

When i had the 9800, I was using a Nexus 500 watt power supply.

what brand power supply do you recommend?

i'll let you guys know if the computer shuts down with the GTX 480 as well

thank you,

I think you guys were right, I got the GTX 480 today, and the computer shut down like 10 seconds into playing a game.

Should I look into getting a 600-750 watt PSU from one of the more reliable brands?

Edit: i did the calculator from that thread you linked to, and i got 489 watts

Edit Edit: this PSU looks perfect, the way it is modular I can use the cables I already have installed, and I like them alot, they're really flexible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=750W_Modular_PSU-_-17-256-017-_-Product

That seasonic looks fine, but, if you really have that ULTRA 1600w and it's not pushing a GTX 480 with an old dual core, then. I don't know. I don't want to call you a liar but that ULTRA (while not being my favorite brand) is enough to push 3 GTX 480s and 2 quad core chips.

You shouldn't have any problems with that Seasonic PSU.

That seasonic looks fine, but, if you really have that ULTRA 1600w and it's not pushing a GTX 480 with an old dual core, then. I don't know. I don't want to call you a liar but that ULTRA (while not being my favorite brand) is enough to push 3 GTX 480s and 2 quad core chips.

You shouldn't have any problems with that Seasonic PSU.
I have pictures of it if you don't believe me :D

you mean silverstone? not seasonic?

Maybe it is a different problem though? :facepalm:

Edit: I tried playing the game again for the second and 3rd time, and it shuts down each time, it will open the game menu and everything, but once I get in game and I'm actually playing, it clicks and turns off in seconds.

what are your temps like?
I don't know, I don't have any temperature monitors, but it will happen even if I have just turned the computer on, and the video card hasn't been hot at all. my processors heat sink is never more than warm to the touch, even at the base (a few seconds after it's been turned off of course)

VoltagesTemperatures.jpg

Edit: I tried playing call of duty 4 (I was playing call of duty 6 before when i talked about playing a game) and it worked well with call of duty 4 for a few minutes, probably about 5 to 8 minutes, then the screen went black and the monitor started searching for an input, but the sound was still going and the fans were still running. I could still hear a helicopter flying around, but if I clicked I wouldn't be able to hear me fire, and I couldn't hear other players running around. I'm not sure what this was, but I'm willing to bet that it wasn't the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom