another first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase907

Solid State Member
i have been trying to do some research on what would be some good compnents to get but it is a little over my head. i am not much of a gamer, i am looking for a computer to play starcraft 2 and diablo 3 on but besides that i dont think i will be playing too many games. this computer is going to be used more for music production and recording. at this point in time i will not be buying a video or sound card, ill get thos later. im looking at getting a good cpu and motherboard with a good amount of ram. i would like to keep it around $700, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

i plan on getting the video and sound cards later what i want to do is build a good computer without them for around 700 then invest in the cards later on.

EDIT: also i can get windows 7 and all office stuff for dirt cheap at my school so those are not part of the 700 either. i have been looking at this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133176 anyone know anything about this particular case or brand?

Thermaltake tends to be a good brand. Google 'thermaltake armor90 review' to see what the professional reviewers think of it. Works for any piece of electronics.

Most motherboards come with pretty decent on-board sound nowadays, whether you want it or not.

You may as well go with Trotters setup.You have 2 choices, pay for a decent card now or pay more for a motherboard that has a cheap built-in video option. The problem with the built-in video option is the motherboard itself isn't going to be a "Good" one. Most motherboards with built-in Video are designed for office workstations (clerical) and they offer very few if any performance options.

If you wanted to shave a few dollars off of Trotters setup you can drop the Sunbeam Core-Contact Cooler as the CPU will come with a stock heatsink.

that hdd is one of western digital's "green" drives which = somewhat slower drive. look into this drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
it will be faster and save you like $5.

and save your $15 and just get the i5 750
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
all they did was raise its multiplier by 1, so it gets a 140mhz increase which is practically nothing compared to what it can really do with a good cooler when you OC yourself.

Most motherboards come with pretty decent on-board sound nowadays, whether you want it or not.

You may as well go with Trotters setup.You have 2 choices, pay for a decent card now or pay more for a motherboard that has a cheap built-in video option. The problem with the built-in video option is the motherboard itself isn't going to be a "Good" one. Most motherboards with built-in Video are designed for office workstations (clerical) and they offer very few if any performance options.

If you wanted to shave a few dollars off of Trotters setup you can drop the Sunbeam Core-Contact Cooler as the CPU will come with a stock heatsink.

I'm sorry Slaymate. For most people (games or movies) onboard sound is just fine, but, there is a clear and distinguishable difference between even cheap discrete sound cards and onboard sound.

Try running 24 tracks playback simultaneously on an onboard soundcard and see how quickly the computer eats that buffer and the onboard sound chokes. With an onboard solution you're almost required to set the buffer length to some insane number (like 250ms or such). With an Asus Xonar, or Sound Blaster X-fi you can run it at or near 0ms. Not to mention ASIO drivers sound 100x better than any DirectX will ever sound (on a good set of speakers at least).

But I guess if you're not recording/creating music on the system onboard isn't going to have any issues :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom