Rest In Peace (HD 4870)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
It finally FUBAR'd

After the first card had random shutdowns during games, RMA'd

Recieved "New" replacement HD 4870. Had same issue, but continued to use it anyway.

took it apart,applied thermal paste (noobishly) Caked it on, temps were high, took apart, cleaned and re-applied

Was fine with non performance intensive games until recently.

Started to notice grainy, pixelated movements on desktop/colors.

Few days later I started to see artifcacts in non performance demanding games.

It crashed shortly after displaying these artifacts.

I tested the DVI ports, when i switched the monitor cables between DVI ports the grainy/pixelated movements were reduced or completely fixed temporarily, but returned shortly after.

Just now I got artifacts once again and crashed, only this time when I booted up, even the bios screen had artifacts. I just turned off the computer and removed the card.

What do I do now? I already tampered the card (removed heatsink) so my warranty is gone, I am using onboard graphics now (no games). Is the card permanently damaged? Does the recent artifacts/crashing have to do with my taking the heatsink off and applying thermal paste? Is it fixable?

Was my first real graphics card. I might just throw it in the trash and move on. My case, powersupply, and motherboard were trash, cheap stuff. Should have never mixed high performance hardware with crappy hardware..

I can't buy a new graphics card knowing:

*Two brand new graphics card suspiciously had the same problems inside my computer.

*The power supply giving power to the cards was made from cardboard.

*The motherboard was a cheap intel board designed for office PC's.

Which of those 3 had the most influence on what happened to the card? What should I do before trying to use any graphics card in my PC?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
OCZ 4gb DDR2
Intel DG31PR Board
Xion Solaris Budget Case
Power Up! 550 Watt PSU (budget)

Theres a total of 2 small fans in my whole computer, side panel off, fan pointed at the innards.

do you have like another old/cheap card you could try out? just to eliminate the possibility of maybe the x16 slot being faulty.

do you have access to another psu you could try? again, to eliminate the possibility of a cheap psu crapping out on you.

I don't have either. That will be my number 1 priority. To find another PSU asap.

About the pci-express slot having problems. Somehow I have a feeling that isn't the case.

My Geforce 9600 GSO ran perfect, no crashes (even while running crysis) while I had my old 450 watt PSU that came with my case.

When I sold the card on craigslist I also gave the guy my PSU.

I then bought the first 4870 and the Power Up! PSU.

Is it possible that the card is permanently damaged and unusable?

Quote (The power supply giving power to the cards was made from cardboard.)

whats wrong with this sentence, cardboard wtf man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom