changing hardware could possibly affect my OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk1045

In Runtime
Hey all,

I am in the process of upgrading some hardware, e.g. mobo, psu etc.

I am worried bcuz my comp is a prebuilt with OS preinstalled. I do not have a disc for the OS.
Will i lose and have to reformat my HDD when i install new mobo? What can I do to not lose my data and OS, if anything at all?
thank you

If you have XP...you'll need to perform a repair install.

If you have Vista or 7...you'll have to reinstall.

Either way, you're going to need an OS disc.

Well you will have to make backups first. Also you need to go into the topic entitled Read First and look up about OEM versus Retail. The serials provided with the pre-built machines are OEM and can NOT be transferred to a new machine. So you will have to budget for the purchase of a new OS as well. As you wont be able to use the one you currently have.

after I read that thread you suggested I just want to make sure of 1 thing. This system im going to upgrade I might be making multiple changes over a period of time. So with that said and from what I read I should be looking for a retail version of windows? Or as long as I keep my mobo the same I can change CPU and still keep the OEM version?
Please clarify. Thanks

If you change mobo's then you will need to get a new copy of Windows if you purchase OEM. According to Microsoft, a new mobo equals a new PC. With OEM's they are tied to the mobo. So if you keep that mobo and just change CPU's then you can get OEM with no issue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom