No POST with more than one stick of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geaarz

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I've been working on this problem for a couple days and still no-go, I have surfed the web and tried countless solutions.

I was working on another computer and had just turned my computer off to install a hdd. before i even got my case opened, i needed to check something real quick so i plugged the power cord back in and started to reboot. no POST, nothing on screen, doesn't even see my usb keyboard or mouse.

first thing i did was shut down, and reset the bios with the jumper. nothing
second, i shut down and disconnected everything that wasn't essential to booting into BIOS. so just psu, mobo, ram, cpu. same problem.

the only time i am able to get it to post is when i only have one stick of ram in a slot. i have 2x2gb sticks that i usually run on the machine, i tried both sticks in both slots and just a long as there is only one stick in at a time it posts, i also tried this with a couple 1gb spares.

I flashed the bios, cleared the CMOS every time i tried a different stick still no avail.

From what i have done i think that the RAM is good and the mobo slots are good as well...

Specs:
Custom build
BIOSTAR TA760G mobo
2x2gb G-SKILL DDR2-1066
AMD Phenom 9600 quad 2.3ghz
800w coolmax psu (can't remember any other specs)

Thanks for the help!

Download Memtest86+, burn the .iso file to a cd. Restart the PC, set the CD as the 1st boot device in the Bios. With the Memtest 86+ cd in the drive save and exit out of the bios. Press any key to start from the cd when the screen asks. Memtest 86+ will load and run. Test each stick of memory one at a time and test each stick, one at a time, in both memory slots.

If both sticks pass in both slots then the slots and the memory are good.

If both sticks pass in one slot but fail in the other slot then the slot is probably bad.

If either sticks fails in both slots then the memory is probably bad.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom