which nvida graphics card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrigguK

Beta member
i am currrently thinking about purchasing myself 1 of nvidas new dx11 cards, and was wondering 2 things, which 1 is the best value for money? and how can i tell if it will fit my motherboard? thanks in advance

Well, the GTX 480 is the most powerful nvidia graphics card...

I think if your motherboard has PCI-e 2.0 it will fit.

I don't know about value for money.

nVidia and "bang for the buck" or "value for the money" haven't gone together in the same sentence in a long long time. Unless you're talking about some low end parts that I'm not aware of. ATI pretty much completely dominates the value and midrange segment. The GTX 460 is a pretty good card for a reasonable price though, it's only around $200 and from what I can tell it's nearly identical in terms of performance (or slightly faster) to the Radeon 5830, which is also $200.

So I'd say the 460 is most likely going to be your best bet at value. It's an excellent card at a modest midrange price with great features, and in my opinion it's nVidia's best bang-for-the-buck card right now.

I agree with the GTX460, it is nVidia's best card for the money right now. While it isn't a top notch card, nVidia's GTX480 (their top of the line card) is priced $100 to $200 more than ATi's RadeonHD 5870 which just slightly underperforms the 480 in most tests. Some people have claimed that running two GTX460's in SLI can match or exceed the performance of a single GTX480 while costing less which may be a good choice if you can afford the extra power and space needed for two cards. Apart from that I personally would recommend ATi this generation, I was dead set on a GTX470 but people here swayed me to the 5870 and after reading countless reviews I chose the 5870. I'm quite happy with it, it runs all my games fine and supports triple-monitor gaming. The only thing nVidia has on ATi right now is CUDA which only matters if you're doing high performance computing like Folding@Home or if you're using nVidia's PhysX. nVidia also has 3D Vision but it's for a niche market (same applies to ATi's Eyefinity multi-monitor gaming technology though).

While it isn't a top notch card, nVidia's GTX480 (their top of the line card) is priced $100 to $200 more than ATi's RadeonHD 5870 which just slightly underperforms the 480 in most tests.

With the semi-latest drivers (257 for nvidia, 10.6 for ati), check out the benchmarks now:
The ‘He Said, She Said' Shootout: GTX480 vs. HD5870 | TechREACTION

Tests with the latest drivers now (two revisions more for nvidia, one more for ati) will favour nvidia even more. The 5870 isn't "just slightly" underperforming the 480 anymore ;)

With the semi-latest drivers (257 for nvidia, 10.6 for ati), check out the benchmarks now:
The ‘He Said, She Said' Shootout: GTX480 vs. HD5870 | TechREACTION

Tests with the latest drivers now (two revisions more for nvidia, one more for ati) will favour nvidia even more. The 5870 isn't "just slightly" underperforming the 480 anymore ;)

I'm inclined to agree with you here. Although, to be fair, the 5xxx cards are nearly a year old, and the GTX 4xx cards are only a few months old. This means at least that ATI has had some extra months to work on whatever they have coming next.

I am using a 4870, and I WOULD upgrade to a beastly 480, or 5870, but honestly I'd rather wait a few months and see what ATI is going to dish out next. It's going to be interesting regardless, and maybe they'll make another strong hit like they did with the 5xxx cards.

ATI 6xxx cards coming Q4 2010 - Neoseeker News Article

This is the most recent thing I could find, it's vague, and I have no idea how reputable this source is.

Nice to dream though. With the 480/460 being brand new cards, and ATI preparing (supposedly) for a new product announcement at the end of this year, things might be looking good for ATI.

It all really just depends on that little 6xxx chip ATI has stashed. Surely they're in the testing phase now. I'd love to see its spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom