Need help upgrading graphics card!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I just received the Radeon HD 4850 1GB pci-e card and started installing it. The card came with a 6 pin power supply cord that splits off into two receiving ends. I have one currently installed in my system that doesn't split off and can just plug right into the graphics card. Do I have to use the split 6 pin connector or can I stick with the direct one? ( I noticed that the direct one has six wires, and the split one had three wires on each) I can only find a place to plug in one of the split ends of the split connector. Also what will happen to my computer if the 375W power supply can't handle the card? reading the at least 450 makes me nervous when looking at 375 on my psu.

I concur with Justhews' post. If you haven't bought your card yet, I just picked up the 1GB HIS 5670 and love it. Cheap ($105 at Comp USA after rebates) and very quiet plus no extra power requirements needed. Works very well in the flight sim I bought it for.

Also, check out the customer reviews on Newegg and elsewhere. Good marks all around.

Hey guys, the Radeon HD 4850 1GB has been working great with my system for the past two months, but I recently ran into a problem. I think it may have to deal with the PSU not having sufficient wattage for the graphics card in high end gaming.

I recently purchased starcraft 2 and have had loads of fun with it. Just recently though during load screens I have been getting a black screen and an error from ATI Catalyst saying, "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands." The black screen usually lasts about 30 seconds and then goes away, but this 30 seconds is usually the difference of me dropping from online matches and receiving an unearned loss on my account ;(

I updated my drivers, I tried underclocking the GPU, I checked the fan on the GPU, and I've had no luck yet. I think it may be a power supply issue as we talked about before since i have a 375w PSU and the GPU recommends a 450w PSU. Any advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Alex N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom