Unusual Windows7 problem...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
Hi, my system specs are in my sig. and any help would be greatly appreciated; here's the problem:

My computer was running fine; then I restarted it, and it froze at the part right before it shows my username and I type in my password to enter windows (I thought it froze, as the num lock and caps lock wouldn't respond). Then I realized if I waited about 2-3 mins, it unfreezes itself and enters that username/password section. HOWEVER, it freezes again 2-3mins. in for another 3-4 mins.............

I've scanned my computer with AVG/Spybot, Defragged it, ran Intel SSD, checked RAM; loaded my windows 7 CD and went to the repair section and selected all the different possible repair options; also turned off my computer, unpowered the P/S for 10 mins., and it's still running the same.

My computer is not O.C.'ed, my temps are all good.............. I don't know what to do besides reformatting Windows on my SSD drive, but I don't want to do that, as it's a hassle to re-load all the games, drivers, programs etc etc...........

I don't know if anybody else has ever encountered this problem, as it's a very strange problem............. as I'm typing right now, it's running fine, but it did freeze 15 mins. ago for 3-4 mins..............

Thanx in advance to any help

If the freezing still happens in safe mode then you will have to do quite a bit of experimenting. What I would try first is opening the case and making sure everything is connected properly, and I would check the RAM one at a time to see if either one of the sticks is causing it.

If that doesn't help then really it could be anything. The only other places I could think to look is testing each of your I/O devices, and checking the system logs for what it does right before each freeze.

***UPDATE***

My system doesn't freeze as long as before and is running fine once I pass the login/password part; it's only freezing for about 1-2mins in the "Windows Loading" screen, and after that, it's fine............ Regardless, does anybody know why my system would freeze for 1-2mins during the "Windows loading" part of bootup???

It isnt "freezing". It is loading your profile. If you want this time to decrease, remove the slideshow backgrounds, remove aero and all the goodies so that it has nothing to load with the profile but a basic image.

Either that or create a new profile and set that one up the way you want. Profiles are not impervious, they are still files contained within Windows and over time they too become bogged down with to much crap.

*** 2nd Update ***

Aelustelin, Mak, thx for the replies. Mak, something very strange has happened again............... my computer loads perfectly fine now (I didn't change anything, it just automatically went back to its initial loading speed), the way it was before all this; and now it freezes/or takes 4-5mins to load at random times (whether it's internet explorer, or just searching files in "my computer")............ I really can't figure this out, as in, what's causing this............. Any other suggestions?

Well without knowing what you have running, what scans you have done, what the status is of your hard drive, if you have done chkdsk, if you have done sfc/ scannow among about a million other things. There is no way we can figure out why it is doing it or what is causing it. Could be that the IE addons are causing the slow load, could be that you have outdated addons. A search will always take time. It isnt an instant process to find a file. Even if you have your whole system indexed it still takes time to search every file to find the one your looking for.

So really i dont know what to say to you or how to respond. Your looking for answers that we cant possibly provide with no information about your system or anything you have or havent done or installed.

Mak, I finally found something, and I'm not sure how to proceed with this. When I clicked on my Seagate 1GB drive, and used windows to check the disk for errors, it found no errors............ but then I decided to download Seagate tools, and here's what happened:

S.M.A.R.T. Check- Pass
Short Drive Self Test (Short DST)- Fail
Long Drive Self Test (Long DST)- Fail
Short Generic- Pass
Long Generic- Currently running it, it's half way done so far............

I'm very glad I d/l the seagate tools to check the drive, as I wouldn't have known. Since then, Seagate Tools told me to d/l Seagate DOS, as it might be able to fix the problem; however, when I loaded Seagate DOS from CD (I burned image to CD), my computer freezes at the screen where you can click "yes" to accept the terms and agreements page. This time, I know it's frozen, and not loading incredibly slow, cause the num lock, caps lock don't work, i can't move my mouse, and I gave it 10 mins to get out of that state............... how should I proceed now?

Well you have confirmation that the drive is failing. Get your data off of there, get a new drive and remove the bad drive.

Mak, is there anyway I can fix the current drive? I was happy to read that Seagate DOS can possibly fix the problem, but since I can't use it, as my system freezes before I can use it, I was wondering if there's any other programs that I can d/l which may fix my drive? Or is it at the point where it's time to get a new one and RMA the current one?

There is no free programs that can fix the drive. Who is to say that Seagate DOS could fix it anyways? It might fix the 1 or 2 bad spots, but that doesnt stop the drive from all out failing. Once you start to get bad sectors and the drive failing, there is nothing that can stop it from failing outright at any point.

So your choice comes down to this. Do you want to risk the data on there to lose it later or back it up now and get rid of the drive before it fails. Those are the choices. As crappy as they are those are the choices. So either you save the data now or lose later when you least expect it.

SpinRite is the program you will need. But dont buy it, use it and in a few weeks come back saying your drive failed how can you get the data off of there. It wont be possible. I will just quote this post saying you have had plenty of time to resolve this before it got to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom