i7 920 @ 4.0ghz... Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetJimiTakeOver

Baseband Member
Ok so I have my 920 oc'd to 4.0.

To cool it I have a lapped TRUE120 with a 120mm xigmatek fan (2nd fan is on its way in the mail). Gonna be using the push-pull config. The thermal paste I'm using is some Korean brand I got off Ebay, going to be buying something better soon.

I have a question about the temps I'm getting.

Real Temp is telling me my CPU is idling around 45c. And during a 15 minute Blend test on Prime95, running at 100% load it got to a max temp of 86c. Though for the most part it was ~80 (fluctuating between 76 and 84).

Are these temps normal or is it running to hot? I've read the 920 can handle temps like this for short periods without long term damage. Is this true?

those temps are on the low spectrum of high temps... but nothing to be concerned about. lets see how the extra fan effects temps.

also, how many and where do you have the fans in your 932? case airflow has a HUGE impact on air coolers.

My 932 has the stock fan config at the minute.

Two 200mm intake fans. One on the bottom of the front panel, one on the side.

One 140mm exhaust fan at the back.

And one 200mm exhaust fan on the top.

Oh yeah and I'd say my room temperature is slightly above average. It's a small room and it's usually warmer than the rest of the house.

Have you messed with voltages at all? My i7 930 is at 4.1GHz and never exceeds 65C CPU temp, ~75C core temps during LinX or Intel Burn Test. When SMP folding it never exceeds 60C CPU temp. I'm using a Corsair H50 water cooler in push-pull with two Rosewill 75CFM fans.

Ok I lowered my voltage from 1.35 to 1.337. Ran a 'Standard' IntelBurnTest and the highest temp recorded was 80c. But it only stayed on 80 for a split second then went back down. I'd say the average temp was 78c.

So the temps look okay right?

My core voltage is 1.29 actual, 1.31 in BIOS with load-line calibration at level 1 to compensate for voltage drop under load. I have my QPI voltage at 1.32 (I think, maybe 1.33) and RAM at 1.66 (my OCZ RAM rated for 1.65). Every chip is different but try these settings.

Also try a lower multiplier. To get 4.0GHz I used 211x19 instead of 200x20 or higher because it was unstable on those multipliers. I had to lower RAM multiplier to 8 from 10 to get my DDR3 1600 to run stable.

Any particular reason you recommend disabling Load Line Calibration? From what I've read it simply helps maintain core voltage under heavy load (where the chip draws the most power and pulls the voltage down). I was noticing my core voltage dropping to 1.26 under load and that is when it crashed. The options here were either bumping core voltage up more (so it idles higher than it needs to) or turning up LLC to compensate for the voltage drop. With LLC at level 1 (BIOS options are "Standard", "Level 1", and "Level 2") it maintains 1.28-1.30V from idle to full load and is stable.

However, if you are running at 1.33-1.35V you should disable it to lower temps as it is already on the high side of core voltage.

My bad, I forgot that LLC works opposite to my VDroop control.
VDroop Control / Load Line Calibration
VDroop is the flucuation in voltage that the cpu needs as it changes load states. When VDroop Control is disabled or Line Load Calibration is enabled, the CPU VCore voltage setting is a minimum value that may flucuate under load. When VDroop Control is enabled or Line Load Calibration is disabled the CPU VCore voltage is a maximum value the system trys to keep constant at idle or load. I recommend disabling VDroop Control for Air Cooling as the system will run cooler under idle conditions. I only recommend enabling VDroop Control for systems pushing maximum speeds with Water or a more Extreme Cooling Option.

As for the original post, 86C is to HOT, so is 80C. At 4GHz your cpu should be in the low 70's with a lapped true. It sounds like you have TO MUCH paste applied. To much paste is worse than to little. You only need to use a small gob of paste that's about the size of a single grain of rice. And using some cheap stuff from ebay is just wrong. You can get some Tuniq TX-2 for $7 at Newegg and it will drop your temps by 5 degrees even after you reapply the correct amount of the cheap Korean stuff. Paste is extremely important if you want to overclock , especially when your going from 2.66 GHz up to 4 GHz.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom