Windows 7 Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frobroh

Beta member
Whats up guys. I'll try to make this story of mine short and easy to understand. I wake up one morning to see a message "You may be a victim of counterfeit software". Apparently my windows xp pro is fake? It wont pass the genuine test. I bought this pc from a guy months ago. So i am looking to buy a brand new Windows 7 OS. I have a couple questions. Should i go for 32 bit or 64 bit? I am getting Home Premium. Also, I have never done this before so i need a little help with my next question. I want to upgrade my pc in the future and be able to transfer my OS to my new hardware, so what do i need to buy in order to achieve that? Thanks for any help.

My current specs are as follows:

Amd Athlon II x4 @ 2.6ghz
2gb ddr2
500gb Seagate HDD
Corsair 650w
Biostar Mcp6p M2+

Well if you want to be able to use the OS on another machine, you must purchase the Retail version which allows transfer of the license. The OEM version can't be transferred. Along with this, you cant do a direct upgrade from XP to Win7, so you might as well get the full version so that you can install it later on the new machine.

Ok, so i can't go from xp to win7? Also, i want to upgrade my pc hardware, but not that soon. Newegg has the upgrade win7 retail for a pretty good price. OEM is definitely not an option for me. Someone was telling me i would have to reformat in order to upgrade to win7, which isn't a problem. Thanks again for the info.

No you can't go from XP to Win7. This information is available right on the very first page of the Win7 FAQ thread we have here.

You wont be able to use the upgrade version. It doesnt allow for a full install. Not for when you decide to upgrade yoru hardware and have to reinstall the OS. Cant just put the drive in the new machine and have it work. The hardware profile will not match and Windows wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom